"I'm going to ask you one time and one time only: have you been stealing from me?"

I slowly open my eyes to see Lizzy looking at the ground.

"I... I..." she stutters.

"Yes or no."

"I... my mom is really sick and doesn't have health insurance. I really needed the money."

"You really needed to steal the money?!" I get louder than I intend. "You couldn't have freakin' asked me??"

"I... didn't know how to."

"You didn't know how to ask me so you stole from me??" I'm so angry that I start pacing back and forth. "And to top it all off, you framed Derek?!"

She looks away from me.

"Please leave. I'll mail you a check Monday with two weeks pay but you're fired, effective today."

Lizzy's mouth drops open and tears fill her eyes.

"But... I... Danielle, I really need this job. Please. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. It will never happen again. I should have come to you."

As much as I want to feel compassion, there's none left for me to give.

"You need to leave now," I say sternly.

Lizzy grabs her purse and walks out towards the front of the bakery without saying a word. I'm thankful she does because I'm on the verge of a total breakdown.

When she's finally out the front door, the weight of everything hits me and I break down crying.

I've known and worked with Lizzy for 4 years. Over that time, we got so close. I trusted her with so much of my personal life. We hung out together all the time. Heck, we even vacationed together. And this is how she chose to repay me. The feeling of betrayal runs deep and I can't stop the tears that start to stream down my face.

"Hey."

I look up to see Anna walking in the kitchen. She comes up to me and hugs me.

"I'm so sorry Dani. Lizzy told me what happened on her wag out."

"I really just need to be alone right now," I say to her.

Anna nods her head then grabs her stuff. "Okay, I'll text you over the weekend."

She makes her way out of the bakery and I sigh. It takes all my strength to close up the shop and begin to make my way home. I am absolutely, emotionally drained.

Derek's POV

"Believe it or not, I know what it's like man," Mike says, walking with me towards the exit of the real estate seminar. "You heard my story. I really want you apply to our internship. I can tell you would do great things with us."

I nod as I take in Mike's words. He's one of the top realtors in New York City and was the host of today's seminar. I learned a lot about how to get my foot in the door and what it really takes to flip houses. As challenging as it's going to be, I really think I can do it.

"Thanks so much," I say, shaking his hand. "I'll definitely put my application in today."

Mike gives me a clap on the back and I exit the building into the cold NYC air.

My phone buzzes and it's Danielle again.

I fired Lizzy.

I snort. It's about time.

I tuck my phone back into my pocket before making my way back to the shelter.

When I get to the shelter, I'm let in immediately. It's Friday morning and they've made a special waffle breakfast for everyone. I help myself to two waffles as well as a large bowl of strawberries topped with whipped cream.