eleven

"𝘖𝘬𝘢𝘺, 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘩, 𝘐 '𝘮 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘢𝘯𝘦

𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦."

_

"Sorry, dearest."

"No, no don't leave me." She began to shake her restraint arms violently.

Y/n was up with a gasp. Her heart was beating erratically and her eyes darted around the room. She was in her room. Alone. Safe. The clock read 7:30 am. She pushed herself off the bed and walked to the bathroom.

Y/n walked into the bathroom and switched on the light. What she saw staring back at her almost made her flinch. Her skin was sweaty and oily. She had dark bags underneath her eyes from the lack of sleep.

She unwrapped the bandages on her hands and threw them in the little trash can next to her toilet. Her hands were almost completely healed. It took them a little bit longer than normal because she hadn't been in the mood to meditate.

Y/n peeled the sweaty clothes off her skin and turned the shower head on. She opened the curtain and stepped in. She let the warm water run down her back and onto the floor.

Since the compound had gotten raided Y/n had been on edge. She'd been distracted at work, barely eating. Every time she closed her eyes all she saw was her fears and nightmares. She hadn't been getting more than 3 or 4 hours a night and it was quickly starting to take a toll on her.

Y/n didn't know why this was happening. Maybe the break-in triggered some sort of PTSD? That was her only guess. There was a press conference going to be held today so she figured it might help her to see everyone and socialize instead of work and constant stress.

Y/n finished the rest of her shower routine almost on autopilot. She stepped out of the shower and wrapped her towel around her body. She walked out of the bathroom and opened her closet.

A knock at the door caused Y/n to jump and her hand automatically reach for her knife. She readjusted her towel and took a deep breath "Come in."

The door creaked open and Wanda peaked her head through "Pepper wants us downstairs early before the press conference starts and she wanted me to make sure you'll there."

Y/n smiled "Yes I will. I'll meet you down there."

"Alright see you down there hun." Wanda smiled back and closed the door. How badly she didn't want to go to this thing.

She sighed and started to get dressed. Y/n wasn't a big fan of the thought of being on Tv. She knew that nothing good could ever come out of it. The news always twisted their stories to fit their own needs.

Y/n opened her door and crouched down to the floor. She picked up the piece of thread on her floor. She put the thread between the bolt latch and the door frame. She locked the door and walked over to the elevator.

Okay so maybe Y/n was a little paranoid. She'd admit that. She learned the trick from her brother. You'd put a piece of string between your door and the door frame. If the piece ended up on the floor then you'd know someone had been in your room. But if said piece was where you left it then your room was safe and sound.

But of course, it doesn't always work because there was the occasional thief, assassin, or mercenary that was trained to watch out for those sort of things so when they were done scouting out you, your place, or your things they'd put it right back where they found it. And you'd never know the difference.