viii. 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥

Start from the beginning

There are a lucky few who do not express that fear, but that does not mean it isn't there. As for Arken, Dara senses that he does not fear the boy with the gloves, but rather...fears a thought surrounding him.

He does not tense, he bites back, he is trying so desperately hard to get to something...but Dara can't quite put her finger on it. Arken said to abandon this plan, yet when Kaz made a speech he quickly agreed.

And, retirement? Seriously? No one retires...ever. It is a filthy world and Dara has seen multiple seventy-year-old men who have had less than Arken, yet they are still in the game of mischief.

Retirement, my ass.

With the addition of the fact that he has not crossed that many times. Arken's arm has scars on how many times he has crossed, but Dara used to do the same...just without the crossing part and more of a tragic past, but never mind that. The scars are all the same, none faded.

It is a ruse.

He tricks people, because he needs the money and he needs to get to the place. Also, he does not like to die alone. That is why he waits for people to come to him asking to cross.

Dara asked around while at Novokribirsk, and although not a single human being was helpful with buying the disgusting coal, people did love to gossip and so the acting skills came into place.

Jesper simply looked amused the entire time as Dara smiled softly at the disgusting older men.

But, Dara knows he has traveled enough times across the Fold in order for his relaxed posture to be so relieved of tension. Kaz Brekker may seem like that, but he isn't. He has not let his eyes go from the coal nor the small window slot in front of him the entire time.

"How did you know where to put the poles?" Kaz tilts his head, still looking out the slot.

"Physics and engineering account for," Arken trails off, "most of my success."

"And the rest?" Inej seems tired, and Dara knows it's not because of the ride, but rather the threat of another. Inej does not like new people at all and most uncontrollably hates when Kaz hires someone new to work for the Dregs.

The Wonderer and the Wraith usually have a night out when Kaz hires someone new. He cannot say no at all since it is standard procedure. The first time Dara did it, he was inflamed, but Dara simply cut off his fuse when she explained to a surface level content. Dara would never tell Kaz what Inej has told her personally unless Inej gave her the go ahead.

"What we might call divine intervention. What others might call luck⏤" Arken is cut off.

"Luck," Dara questions.

Arken nods, "luck. Don't believe in it?"

"I've lived long enough to know that luck is simply an excuse for the more...deranged tales behind them."

"And what derange tales might I spill?" Arken plays into her words.

Dara only smirks, one almost a copycat of Kaz, "now isn't that a question."

"You do not know," he chuckles.

"I wouldn't say that," Dara looks to Arken's arm, raising her brows as Arken tries to hide the scars.