Chapter Thirty-Nine: Hunted

Start from the beginning

"Hey! What the fuck is this!?" shouted Annabelle.

Peter gritted his teeth as he tried not to fall and get himself killed. "Stay on the train!"

In the blink of an eye, the track inclined and was now above the surface of the street. The open air gave Annabelle plenty of room to manoeuvre so she trailed above the screeching train.

"Something's definitely wrong! It's going too fast!"

Suddenly, out of nowhere, an aircraft dropped down from above and locked itself in a hover above the train. Emblazoned on the side of the craft was the SHIELD insignia.

"Great! They're gonna blast him full of holes!" cried Prote.

Peter shouted over the raging wind, "Keep them busy for me!"

He let go of his webbing, twirled, and landed in a crouch atop the moving train.

Several quick flips and sweet moves later, Peter had kicked though the window of the subway car and slipped inside. He should've expected to see what he did, but honestly, it probably wouldn't have helped.

The entire car was covered in the same goo that lathered the Lizard's former nest. Dozens of people were strung up in it.

At the end of the car, though...there it was. It was pinning someone to the wall and...secreting a thick, milky yellow substance from its mouth. The liquid poured over them and began to solidify as it was exposed to the air.

"Hey!" Spidey shouted. "Put him down!"

The Lizard turned and cocked its head. Its throat pulsated. It moved like a streak of lightning. Like that little scurrying lizard you saw in the yard, except it was 7 feet long and had an appetite for human flesh.

Peter's Spider-Sense was almost too late. The Lizard's jaws snapped shut inches from his throat after he made a last minute back step.

Spidey threaded himself around the gargantuan creature's body and slammed a fist into the side of his head.

It might as well have done nothing.

Claws were slashed in Peter's direction, but luckily for him, he already had some gnarly scratches on his chest that worked as great motivators to avoid getting any more.

He dodged, weaved, and flipped between these would-be lethal strikes.

"Listen to me! You're human! Deep down, you can hear me! Listen!" Spidey pleaded.

As if agitated by his words, one attack found its mark. Three of the Lizard's razor-sharp talons raked downward across Peter's face.

They tore straight through the fabric, shattered one of his lenses, and sliced across his chin. Blood flecked onto the subway floor as Peter stumbled back, his mask hanging ragged on his face.

When he looked back at his foe, it froze.

"P-P...Peter," it mumbled.

Suddenly, it clicked. Peter's eyes twitched. He didn't want to believe it. No, he couldn't. Dr. Connors. He was the Lizard. He tested the EGR on himself...to regenerate his arm. He turned himself into this thing. God. He fed on his own family.

"Peter..." it repeated.

Peter raised his hands in surrender. "D-Doc? Curt...?"

They both stared at each other. The Lizard's eyes softened. Its pupils dilated.