Chapter Ten

You could only think of all the things that happened two nights ago, questioning every little thing you could remember. Your shoulders tensed up as you lowered the shirt you had been folding so you could set it on top of the pile on the shelf. You looked behind you, you weren't too surprised to find that mannequin there. It was only standing a few feet away from you. "Oh, it's just you" you deadpanned, turning your attention back towards your work. Once you were finished, you turned around, only to jump back.

Your hands flying up to clutch at your fast beating heart as you stared at the mannequin that was now closer. It was now trespassing on your personal space. "Shit!" you cursed as you side stepped pass the mannequin and made your way back to the front of the store. You had no idea where Jacob was now, perhaps Amy could tell you where he was. Just as you were about to call out Amy's name when you got closer to the cash register, you stopped when you saw that she was with a customer.

Though, she looked displeased as she glared at the tall, pale man that was leaning over the counter, holding out what appeared to be a purple rose out towards the young woman. His appearance was strange, a long black trench coat, black fedora that was pushed down low enough to cover his eyes. The smirk on his face caused a shiver to rank up your spine, it felt unnerving to look at it. You slowly walked towards the two. "For the last time, I'm not interested!" you heard Amy sneer.

"Oh, come now. Just taking one single rose isn't going to do you much harm" a voice that was pleasing to the ears came from the man. It did seem to match his appearance.

"Excuse me" you cut in the minute you saw Amy's fist balling up. Didn't need her getting in trouble with the boss.

"Thank God" Amy sighed in relief as her body relaxed the minute she saw you step into the picture. Though her glare didn't lighten up. "This asshole's been bothering me all morning" she jabbed her thumb towards the tall man. Causing his smirk to turn into a frown.

"Well that wasn't very nice, sweet cheeks. How about you, would you care to take a rose?" the man asked, turning his attention towards you. His smirk coming back full force just as quickly as it had disappeared. He put away the purple rose and was quick to produce a [Favorite Color] rose before bending down so he was face to face with you. You raised an eyebrow, why hadn't he just given you the rose he had been currently holding?

"Uh, no thank you" you nervously responded as you politely declined him.

"Are you-"

"Hey! You already heard her answer, so there's no point in pestering her. If you're not going to buy anything then leave" Amy interrupted as she pointed towards the entrance. The man's frown returned, but this time it felt different. Just as he opened his mouth to respond, he stopped, his attention now drawn behind you.

"Sir?" you questioned, peering behind yourself as well to find that mannequin again. Looking back at the man, he stuffed the rose he was holding in his trench coat and buried his hands into his pockets. Grumbling something before turning to leave the store.

"That was strange" Amy raised an eyebrow as she watched the man leave. Now confused by the man's sudden change in mood. "Had I caused that?"

"I don't think so" you responded. 'Had it been because of that mannequin that he left?' you questioned, looking back at it before turning your attention back towards Amy who was still looking at the entrance. "Who was that guy?" you asked.

"I don't know that was my first time seeing him, don't you know him?" she asked.

"Amy, I didn't even know who that Mr. Farewell guy was. How do you expect me to know everyone in this [Town/City]? I don't spend my free time getting to know the people who live here" you responded, raising an eyebrow.

"Good point."

"So, have you and Jacob stop arguing for the day?" you asked.

"Hm, yes and no" she responded as you raised an eyebrow. "We decided to put it off to the side and pick it back up sometime later, I mean I'm still mad at him. But, not mad enough to start accepting roses from random guys" she explained.

"That's kind of strange, I've never known any guy who just carry different colored roses. Was also strange that he was able to just magically produce a rose that was my favorite color" you said, leaning back against the counter.

"It was kind of suspicious that he just walked up to the cash register the minute he entered and pulled out a rose. Where was he even keeping that thing? It looked to be in perfect condition" Amy said. "Do you think we'll see him again?"

"Hopefully not, but we probably will" you responded, pushing away from the counter. "Anyways, mind telling me where Jacob is? I believe I have to help him with something."

"You believe?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

"Not a word! Not my fault I'm not good at remembering all the assignments Mrs. Taylor assigns me" you muttered as your cheeks heated up.

"Hm, if I have to guess, I believe he's in the Employees Only room" she hummed.

"Why would he be in there?"

"Probably on his lunch break, pouting or being lazy. One of the other" she shrugged her shoulders. "You won't know 'til you go and look."

"You're right, thanks, I'll see you around" you waved bye to the raven-haired woman as you walked off.