Chapter Nine

-You-

You blinked your eyes opened and sighed, a day had passed and you were ready to return to work. You were quick to get ready and just as you got downstairs you met your mother standing there looking a little nervous. "Are you sure you want to go back to work so soon? I'm sure your boss would understand if you wanted to take another day off" she said, worried.

"I'm certain" you nodded your head. "Nothing major happened and my headache seems to be clearing up" you said, wrapping your arms around your mother. She was quick to wrap her arms around you and place a loving kiss to the top of your head.

"If you're so sure, but don't hesitate to call your father or I if you wish to come home early or want someone to come pick you up after work" your mother said as you nodded your head. After giving a quick peck to her cheek and a wave goodbye you were off. As you walked down the sidewalk, your body became more tense the closer you get to that area, the one you were attacked in. Though all that tension seemed to leave your body as you came to a halt to stare at the police cars and police tape that was used to block the entrance of the alleyway.

"Excuse me" you mumbled, wandering over towards two police officers that were quietly speaking to one another.

"Hm? Yes?" the younger of the two hummed as he turned his attention towards you while the other one seemed to wander off somewhere else, probably to speak with the other officers.

"What happened?" you felt curious as to why there were so many cops gathered around this one area. From the corner of your eye you tried to peer down the alleyway, but there were too many cops blocking you from seeing whatever it was they were surrounding. All you could see were the flashes of a camera and blood splatters. Had there been an accident or was it a...murder?

"There seemed to have been a murder, the body was discovered earlier this morning by a young woman walking her dog" the officer explained.

"Was this just recent?" you probed.

"No, signs show that the body has been deceased for a day or two."

"What was the victim's name?"

"Robinson Farewell, do you know him?"

"No" you shook your head, the young officer nodded his head as his eyes wandered elsewhere. He seemed to tense up before quickly coughing into a balled-up fist.

"I'm sorry ma'am but I can't tell you any more than that, seems I've revealed too much than I needed to" he said, mumbling the last part. "You should be on your way, have a good day."

"Alright, you too" you muttered as you walked pass the man. Continuing your way to work. 'Could it have been...' you released a loud sigh as your mind started wandering back to two nights ago.

-Later-

You played with a loose strand of thread on the bottom of your work shirt while leaning against the front counter. Ignoring whatever conversation going on between the two coworkers beside you. "Hey, how are you feeling?" you were jolted out of your mind as you heard Jacob's voice from beside you. Turning your head towards him and Amy, you saw the worried looks they were giving you.

"I'm fine, I guess" you muttered, shrugging your shoulders as you looked back down.

"You guess?" Amy questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Come on, tell us what's wrong."

"Did...did you guys know that a dead body had been discovered this morning?" you hesitantly asked.

"No" they both shook their heads.

"Well, apparently, some man by the name of Robinson Farewell was discovered dead this morning in an alleyway. I don't know the full details, just what I was able to get from some young officer, I assume he was new with how easily he had given out that information" you said. "Said he was found by some woman walking her dog this morning."

"Robinson Farewell, now why does that name sound familiar" Jacob hummed, crossing his arms as he shut his eyes in thought. "Oh! Yeah, now I remember!" he suddenly exclaimed as he snapped his fingers.

"Remember what?" you questioned.

"Mr. Farewell was the drunkard that lived in the apartment right across from mine. He would always be out drinking 'til the early hours of the morning, sometimes he'd even bring a woman back with him" Jacob explained. "I didn't think much about it at first, but now that I do, I did find it kind of strange how quiet he had recently been. Guess I know why now."

"Perhaps he messed with the wrong person why he was out drinking if he was discovered this morning dead" Amy said, lightly messing with one of the pages of her magazine.

"So, you say he lived right across from you?" you asked.

"Yeah, he always brought the loudest women back home with him. Everyone in the apartment complex constantly complained about him, I don't think he was liked that much" Jacob shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't mind him that much, we spoke once or twice. He was always a bit rude and his humor was a bit dry as well...guess people won't be complaining about him anymore now" he joked, before sighing. "I don't know much about him, the only things I know is what I have heard from longtime residents over at the apartments."

"What would they say?"

"Well a lot of them liked to mention his trouble with the police. The first time it had been because of indecent exposure along with urinating out in public, the second time was for drunk driving and almost hitting a biker. But...people like to mention the third time he ran into trouble with the police" Jacob said, looking uncomfortable. "Apparently, he had tried to rape a young woman, though these were only things I had heard perhaps they're true or just people saying things about an older man they detested."

"He...he attempted to rape someone?" you swallowed thickly, so, it seems that man could have been your attacker.

"Disgusting" Amy scoffed as she scrunched up her nose. "He deserved to die" she muttered.

"Yeah, it is disgusting, but don't you think that's a bit harsh? I'm all for punishing rapist, but that doesn't justify the person that kills them. They're no better than the rapist themselves" Jacob scratched the back of his head. "Perhaps something happened in Mr. Farewell's life that caused him to become the way he is."

"Or maybe he was just a horrible person by nature, are you trying to defend him?" Amy frowned.

"What! No, I'm not trying to defend him, I'm just saying" Jacob defended. You blocked the two out as they started to bicker with one another. That man had attacked you two nights ago, and the officer said his body looked as if it had been dead for at least two days. Does that mean your savior was the one to kill him? Were the screams you heard the one of a man being slaughter and not the screams of someone being beaten up?

You heaved a sigh, not really knowing what to think of all this.