Chapter 35 - Progress

Start from the beginning

Fabian growled at that. "We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Like you said before, we need to take this slow, once step at a time. If at any time we don't feel comfortable around the potential recruit, we'll wipe their memory and bring them back home."

"It shouldn't have to be like this." Xavier hissed in annoyance, massaging his temples at the growing headache that threatened to split his head apart. "We shouldn't have to hide these poor victims in a deep, dark corner, as if they're someone's dirty secret that shouldn't see the light of day."

Silence filled the room, both men lost in thought. Eventually Fabian stepped away from his seat, groaning as his joints popped.

"Life is a strange and cruel thing, Xavier. You know that as well as anyone. Now we can lament and cry about the fact that things shouldn't be this way, but that'll get us nowhere." The Hellhound huffed, breath releasing cinders in the air before they doused.

"Right now, we need to decide on these Improba, how we're going to conduct the interview and the steps we need to take to avoid any casualties."

Xavier let that sink in for a moment before nodding, pushing up from his own seat. "For the better of the Deprived." He murmured, taking the files with him as he left in search of Isabella.

A few hours later, Xavier, Isabella and several of the guards were back at their former compound, welcoming their guests. The interviews went off without a hitch, all four Improba showing nothing but exemplary behavior.

Pressing his lips together, Xavier sighed before dropping all pretenses, coming clear with the four Improba in front of him.

Shock and disgust swarmed over all their faces, not a hint of desire or greed was seen. It made Xavier let out a sigh of relief while the interviewees all shivered in disgust.

"No wonder this place is so... remote." The female Improba Violet, murmured distractedly before giving a wry smile. "No offence but on the trip here, I was certain this was going to be a bogus interview and I'd end up being robbed."

The psychiatrist, whom had been introduced as Robert, let out a relieved chuckle. "I thought the same thing but was too afraid to state it out loud." The mood shifted quickly as everyone sighed before Robert glanced back at Xavier. "So, what now?"

He steepled his fingers together with a deep frown on his face. "You all know what it entails to encounter Deprived. Do you think yourselves capable of withstanding their allure?"

"I can assume everything spoken of here is confidential?" Robert asked before continuing when Xavier nodded. "One of my patients is a former Deprived. Recovered and now happily mated to her Choice Mate, as she calls it." He smiled, black hair spilling over his shoulder as he tilted his head. "I think I can control myself enough."

Violet seemed more worried, pursing her lipstick tinted lips. "I...I never encountered.... I wish I could say for certain but I'm confident that... I can let it know when it gets too much."

The two other Improba were a mated pair and family physicians. Evan and Louis both gave each other a thoughtful look, Louis grabbing his mate's hand as Evan confessed honestly, "I've been known to... lash out when thirsty. As long as I can feed on regular basis..."

Xavier nodded, understanding the reluctance to confess such a weakness, but appreciating it all the same. "We have blood available and accessible at all times. Though I would assume you'd...?" He didn't finish the question, just shot a glance between them.

Any mated vampire would be inexplicable attracted to the blood of their mate, would prefer to feed off of each other's lifeforce instead of chilled, bagged blood.