Eight: Manipulation, Part One

Start from the beginning

"I'll be back," Dani said to Gabe, scooting out of the booth. "Order what you want."

"I think Ian must have emptied this place." He said, smiling as he watched Dani pass him.

Dani quietly made her way to Ian. It was when she sat down opposite him that he looked up from his pie. He gave that ridiculous annoying smile which, for some reason, made her smile. Just a bit.

"Oh hi, Dani."

"Where-what-how-when- Ian, how are you going to pay for all of this?" Dani finally settled on.

He shrugged. "I'm not."

"You mean, you're gonna dine and dash?" She smirked at the idea and folded her hands. "Wait till Jean hears this."

"Actually, Dani, she's paying." At first, she thought that Ian was talking about Jean but then he gestured at someone behind her. Dani turned and caught a waitress staring at Ian with so much interest it creeped her out. Her mouth was slightly open like she was breathing through it. Then came a distant look in her eyes, one so unusually it sent goosebumps over Dani's skin.

Dani whipped her head around. "What's wrong with her?"

"Nothing. You know how I said I was going to look for Sources in this town?" He raised his pad to reveal a long list of names paired with other names, "well I collected a lot. Then I got hungry and went home. But Jean had gone out to see a friend and I didn't want to enter the house again, fearing I might upset you. So I came here. Seeing as I didn't have any money, I kindly asked the waitress for food but she was quite rude. Told me to go stick my head in a beehive."

Dani chuckled. She couldn't help herself.

Ian's smile returned, even wider. "That's the first time you've ever smiled or laughed while talking with me."

Dani scowled in regret. "Just go on with your story."

"Yes, sure. Soon my stomach made this growling noise and it was then I knew I was going to die if I didn't eat something quickly. So I used a bit of Starlight; I subdued her. I told her what my stomach had done and what would happen if I didn't eat soon because I wasn't in my cosmic form, and she gave me all of this. I told her to stop after the fourth pizza and third sundae but she wouldn't listen. I guess the effect is going to have to wear out."

Dani didn't even know where to start. Had Ian really.... "Okay first, I'm pretty sure you're not going to die when your stomach growls."

Ian shrugged. "How should I have known? I normally don't need food to regain my energy." He pushed his pie at her. "Have some. You must be hungry after school"

"No thanks." She pushed it back, knowing how hungry she was. "And secondly, you can't tell me you walked home and came back into the heart of the town, just because you would upset me."

"But I did. You matter to m-"

"Please don't make this conversation awkward!" Dani interrupted, holding her hand up. "I kinda admire your persuasion skills, though. I mean," she gestured at the contents spread on the table, "all of this. Nice one, Ian. But let's be honest... you're going to have to sleep with her, aren't you?"

Ian's facial expression was comical. For a second, Dani thought he looked afraid. It reminded her of the main character in a mystery novel finding out that his or her close friend was the killer. The eyes widen, some would clench their jaws, the mouth opens a bit, and fear/shock would fog into their eyes.

"Absolutely not," Ian said calmly. "That is a very serious offense against The Cosmic Rule Of Law. Not something to joke about, Dani." Then under his breath, quietly he said, "Copulating with a human. How barbaric..."