Chapter 3

Tionne:

My heart is still beating out of my chest from that nightmare of standing in front of all those people. Lisa tried to calm me down, telling me I did well, but I don't believe her. That was nerve-wracking as hell.

I watched family and friends go up to the stage and speak, trying to see if they might mess up and stumble over my words like I did, so I wouldn't be the only one.

I was the only one, as far as I could tell. They looked so calm and collected up there.

After everyone finished, I was about ready to tell Lisa off.

"You see, I'm the only one who embarrassed myse- "I cut off.

Lisa didn't pay me any mind.

"Girl, I'm talking to you! Hello?" I snapped my fingers in front of her face.

"Huh? Oh, sorry." Lisa said.

"Now, what were you looking at? Some new meat for you?" I retorted.

I looked in the direction she looked, and I noticed a dark skin girl looking everywhere else but at us.

"Is she not up to your standards?" I joked.

"Tionne!" she said, hitting me.

"Well, she's kinda cute. Shame you wanna pass her up." I folded my arms.

"Tionne, that's Chilli," she said firmly.

I was completely shocked.

"Oh, that's Chilli!?!" I almost yelled.

Some people turned their heads towards us.

"Shhh! You embarrassing yourself even more!" Lisa hushed.

Lisa always gushed to me about Chilli all the time when they were together. Too much to the point it got annoying. She would spend hours talking about her into the night.

So finally getting to even see the celebrated woman made me feel excited and anxious. I felt like I saw a celebrity.

Lisa sighed.

"Yea, that's her," she said in a monotone voice.

"The one that got away, huh?" I taunted.

"Shut up," she said.

"Introduce me!" I exclaimed.

"No. You too giddy. Go make yourself busy with something else." she shoved.

"I'm not giddy, I promise," I said, grinning.

Lisa studied my face in an unconvinced stare for a few seconds before deciding.

"Come on." She groaned.

I smiled as she led me to Chilli's table.

"Chilli..?" Lisa asked as Chilli looked away, trying to avoid eye contact.

When Lisa called her name, she turned her head towards us and gave us an awkward smile.

She looked at me first, and our eyes met for 3 seconds before she looked at Lisa.

During those 3 seconds, my heart stopped. Her eyes were innocent and brown, almost piercing. Those 3 seconds felt like 3 hours, but I didn't mind... I was wondering if she was judging me with those eyes.

Why am I wondering about that... I don't even know her last name....

"Hey Lisa," she said and looked at me again with a tiny smile. "Hello."