Chapter 1

Tionne:

"Where the hell are my keys?"

I shuffled through my messy desk, cluttered with books and papers, but couldn't find them anywhere. And of all times, the day I'm going to an important birthday party for my friend Lisa. It was for her mother, Wanda. She turned 50 today, and she invited me to speak, but honestly, I don't even think I have a good speech ready for that.

The wall phone rang.

"Oh shit." I muttered.

I glanced between the wall and the desk to decide which was more urgent and ran to the phone.

"Hello?" I picked up.

"Girl, where the hell have you been? You was supposed to be here 10 minutes ago." said the familiar high-pitched voice over the line.

"Lisa, I'll be there, I'm just gonna be a little late." I told her.

"Well, people keep asking for you and they're starting to get worried. I've been givin' em' tired excuses like you're caught in traffic or something, and I'm running out of ideas." Lisa rambled.

"Then tell them something else." I shrugged, as though she could see me over the phone. "Look, I gotta go."

"But-"

"Goodbye Lisa!" I cut her off and hung up the phone.

Lisa:

"That bitch!" I silently mumbled at the payphone.

"You ok?" a sweet female voice from behind asked.

"Yea, I'm good." I awkwardly smiled at the woman. She gave me an unconvinced look. "There's nothing wrong." I told her.

"Was that your friend, Tionne?" she asked.

"Yes it was!" I take her arm and bring her back into the building. "She just was talking about how traffic wasn't letting up."

"Aw, that's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing her." she said.

"Rozonda, you'll get to meet her tonight. I promise." I hold her hand. "And you know I always keep my promises." I giggled.

"Don't start with that. This isn't the time or the place. And don't call me Rozonda." she pulled her hand away.

"Ok! Ok! Sorry... Chilli." I retreat.

Ever since we broke up, she completely closed herself off from me. It took a long while before we even talked to each other again. We're friends now, but it's only that. And that's the problem.

We've only dated for 2 months, but 2 months isn't a long time for someone like me to get just a little attached. I can't help but pray she at least felt the same. Or feels the same. I don't know...

She'll always be Rozonda to me.

"Hi Lisa!" a red-headed woman shouted to snap me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, hey girl!" we hugged.

"I don't think we've met! I'm Janet." the lady said to Chilli, breaking from our hug.

"Rozonda, but my friends call me Chilli." Chilli responded.

"Oh Chilli! Interesting name!" she laughed.

"It's a long story." I butted in.

Janet laughed again before there was an awkward pause.

"So when's Tionne coming over?" Janet asked me to break the silence.

Ugh...

Chilli:

"Now I know she didn't just try to butt in." I thought.

I stared at Lisa while she had a clear look of panic mixed with a now fake smile as she tried to explain how Tionne's car had gotten a flat tire or some stupid excuse like that.

Lisa acts like we're still together sometimes and it really bothers me. She can be so weird around me, like she flirts when I don't ask for her attention. I already told her we're through, but she doesn't seem to listen. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm playing a game with her, but she's gotta get the message by now.

I snapped out of my thoughts and distanced myself from the two girls, who were still talking. I walked off to wander around the place, watching other people chatting. Then I saw this one black girl with blonde hair....

[AN: sorry this chapter is a bit short but the others are much longer! i hope you like it so far :)]