Part 22 - No Luck Finding Him

The group reformed, defeated, as G.U.N. military agents scoured the mall in search of the missing squirrel, to no avail.

"You were the last one with him," Mighty finally turned on the one everybody thought was Nutmeg. "Did he actually go into the bathroom?"

"Yes! I also went in and did my business, stepped out, and saw the blur of a man stealing away with him!" She answered, equally exasperated.

"This isn't the first time he's gone missing," the armadillo sat down, resisting the urge to ask more pointless questions directed angrily at the Head Mistress. "I hope he turns up okay. Mobians and humans alike can be cruel."

"I'm sure N.I.T.E. won't do anything drastic to him." Scarlet reassured the former Chaotix member. "They no longer have the MIND machine, so they couldn't chip him."

Valorie knocked on the wooden bench three times just to make sure the hedgehog wouldn't jinx it. "Also, why would they kidnap Ray of all people? He was never involved in the F.V.R. shenanigans before."

"It's probably so they can get power over Mighty." Cyanic suggested.

"And Nutmeg," Mighty added, making them all pause in confusion. He looked up. "What? You saw how those two bonded over brunch. They could be trying to get information out of him for all we know."

"We could stand here all night and wonder what's happening to him." Batanna spoke up. "Or we could rest now and put together a Search-And-Rescue party tomorrow. Which sounds better?"

"Search-And-Rescue tomorrow," Sonic chimed in, stretching and yawning. "We can't save the kid if we're too exhausted to look for him."

"Agreed." Mighty sighed, reluctant to go. "I just hope he's okay."

Even still, he was somewhat cold towards Nutmeg as he and Sonic said their goodbyes and parted from the group.

"I'd be the same way," Nutmeg muttered, feigning a look of despair.

"Oh, Nutty, let's just go to bed." Batanna sighed, looping an arm around her friend's. "Hopefully we can recover him before the next soup kitchen."

Nutmeg tensed slightly. "Scarlet's coming for that one too, right?"

"Well Batty was going to originally, but I can, if it makes you feel better." The dark hedgehog responded.

"Oh, thank you. No offense, Batanna. Those anomalies are difficult to ward off, and I think it requires a Chaos user to beat them."

"None taken." Batanna replied, finding no fault in her explanation. "Let's go get some rest."