3 (Part 3)

I stood by Mal, a look of awe still spread across my face. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked behind me to see the soldier from earlier.

"If you could please come with me." He said, grabbing hold of my arm. Before I could say anything, I was pulled away from Mal who then lost his balance.

"Mal!" I said in a worried tone.

"I'm alright." He reassured me once he regained his balance. 

"What's going on back there?" The Darkling raised his voice.

"My apologies, Moi soverennyi. There are complaints of an intruder in the camp." The soldier explained. "I believe this is her."

"Bring her to me." The Darkling said with a wave of his hand. The soldier pulled my arm again, bringing towards the Darkling. I felt the eyes of everyone in the room, burning on me. I turned to face Alina who gave me a 'sorry' look.

"Who are you?" The Darkling asked.

"Madison Stark, Sir." I replied.

"Where are you from and what is your business here?"

"I- New York," I said, no louder than a whisper "And I have no business here. I never meant to intrude." He had a slightly confused look but it quickly faded.

"Were you tested?" He asked suddenly.

"For what, Sir?" I asked. I heard others laugh around the room.

"If you're a Grisha?" He replied, a bit sternly.

"N-no."

"Why not?"

"The testers never showed up, I suppose." I answered. What else was I supposed to say. I couldn't just tell him I've never even heard of A Grisha till yesterday.

"You suppose?" He raised his eyebrows. "Well then,  today's the day then." He said walking towards me.

"I'm not sure that is necessary." I stepped back.

"And why is that?" He asked.

"Because I'm not a Grisha. I know it."

"You think. But you weren't tested, so how are you so certain?'

"I-" I paused, not knowing how to respond. He gently grabbed my arm and I looked to my feet, not wanting to make eye contact. If I watched him, I was sure to break out into a laughing fit at any moment. I felt the cold metal of the Darklings ring against my arm and then a sudden prick, which hurt more than expected. Once I looked up, I was now standing in the back of the tent. I looked at the Darkling who was staring at me in awe, while everyone else in the tent was looking around in confusion. Eventually I stepped forward causing everyone to find me and stare at me once again.

"You," The Darkling said, breathlessly "What are you?" He asked me.

"Um.. I'm not sure." I said honestly "I didn't even know I could do that till now." I chuckled lightly. The Darkling gave me a half smile.

"Bring her to the Little Palace. Along with Miss Starkov." He said before waving his hand, dismissing everyone.