"Just like mother," Wynonna repeated, buttering another slice of toast.

Waverly closed the door to the breakfast room, listening for any sign of her new friend the pirate. The shouts were coming from outside. A glass-panelled door to the right led to the grounds, swinging slightly in the morning breeze, whoever had gone through before her having left it open, something she was told not to do in her own house. She ventured out, standing on the terrace where tea had been served on their arrival the previous afternoon, wondering in which direction she needed to go.

"Boo!"

Waverly jumped, ready to scream, knowing if she did Willa would have her sent to bed. She turned to see her pirate friend standing behind her, wearing the same tan-coloured shorts, accompanied by a white shirt unbuttoned to the waist. "Did I scare you?"

"No," Waverly replied defiantly, her eyes on the wooden sword in Nicole's hand.

Nicole danced round her young guest. "I scared you. I scared you. I..."

"Shush. My sisters will hear. I mustn't talk to you because you're not a boy."

Nicole stopped prancing, once more trying to work out what on earth Waverly meant. "Why can't you talk to me?"

"I said, because you're not a boy. Willa says you can't be a soldier."

"I can. I can be whatever I want. Today, I am Red, the fiercest pirate you ever did meet. I take scared little girls prisoner and make them eat worms for their supper. You know if you kiss a worm it turns into a prince. Or, that might be a frog. I'm not sure. Frog, worm, all the same. What shall it be, frog or a worm to kiss?"

Waverly let out a squeal, raising her hand to her mouth quickly to cover the sound as well as any attempts her pirate might make to get her to eat, or kiss, something horrid. She spoke through a tiny gap in her fingers. "I'm never eating worms, or kissing worms, or frogs. You can't make me."

"I can. And, I will. I'll chase you and chase you and chase you. And, when I catch you I will make you open your mouth and I will place a fat wiggly worm inside. Or, the legs of a frog. Father is rather partial to those on..." She stopped mid-sentence, amused at her own rhyming words. "Father is rather partial. Father is rather partial."

She would, Waverly thought, her stomach lurching, listening to Nicole repeat her silly phrase. I know she would make me eat worms, or frogs. Poor frogs without legs. How do they hop? I could run away and hide. But, I'm sure she will catch me. Then what? Her hand dropped from her mouth. "I don't believe you. You want to scare me, that's all. I'm not scared of you. Or, worms. Or, frogs."

"Is that so? Then what shall it be?"

"Nothing. Thank you, I've already eaten. Can we play, please? I'd rather play tea parties than be chased and made to eat things."

"I know. A big juicy spider, who sat down beside her, with long hairy legs," Nicole suggested, holding one hand upside down in front of Waverly's face, dancing her fingers.

Waverly couldn't stop herself, her scream heard by both sisters, Willa giving Wynonna a look to say she should go see why their baby sister was making such a racket. Wynonna picked up the remaining half of toast she intended to eat, earning a glare from Willa, dropping it on the plate. She marched outside to find Nicole still tormenting Waverly with her spider hand, Waverly clearly enjoying the attention. "What did Willa say? I've a good mind to tell mama right now."

"No, please. I didn't speak to her. I promise."

Wynonna eyed her sister, knowing full well she had, turning her attention to Nicole. "Would you mind not upsetting my little sister. There's a good chap."