Chapter 3: Maybe

Peppers pov:

I was getting ready for bed when my phone started ringing. "It appears you have a phone call from Mr. Stark," F.R.I.D.A.Y said. I mentally sighed 'what was it now'. I picked up the phone mentally bracing myself. "Yes, Tony, " I spoke. "Pep, I-i messed up really bad, fire, couldn't save them, I'm sorry, " Tony stuttered out crying at the very end. 

I was shocked and confused what happened? What made the great Tony Stark stutter? "Woah, slow down, what happened Tony?" I questioned. "There was an f-fire, I got the kids out but I couldn't get the parents out in time. Pep the house collapsed with the parents in there and the kids saw the whole thing." He managed to get out.

 I was horrified, what a terrible thing to experience. "It's okay Tony there was nothing you could do," I reassured him. "But how would you know you weren't there I bet I could've saved them it's all my fault I knew the building was on the brink of collapsing and I couldn't do anything to save them, " He cried out. "Tony listen to me it wasn't your fault you still got the kids out there was nothing you could have done, alright?" I said determined to ingrain in his mind that it wasn't his fault. 

"Okay, " He whispered. I didn't believe him but just let it go for now. "What's going to happen to the kids?" I asked. "I guess they'll go to the system till a relative comes," Tony said. "But you know how terrible the system is!" I said. "Well, there's nothing else to do." He said with defeat. "We could let them stay here till a relative comes," I said hopefully.

"I ask, " He did. "Okay, " and with that, he hung up. I hoped the kids could come with us with what they saw they'll probably need help maybe even therapy. And me Tony and maybe with the help of the avengers we could help these kids.