Chapter 26

True to Nathan's word, the doorbell rang twenty minutes later. John went to go answer the door. "Where is she?!" I heard Zach yell. He stomped into the living room and went livid when he saw Nathan's arm around my shoulders. "Diamond, what's going on? Why are you here?" I didn't want to answer him. "Diamond Annabelle Carson, answer me." He said loudly. I couldn't help but flinch. He only used my full name when he was disappointed in me. I turned my face into Nathan's chest. He sighed. "Diamond please." I looked at him. He looked so sad, and stayed a few feet from the couch. I got up and went to him. "Diamond, I'm sorry that I hurt you. I didn't mean too. You know that. You know that I would never do anything to hurt you right?" He looked at me as if seeing me for the first time since he got here. "What happened to your face?" He reached up to touch my cheek, but I leaned away from him.

"Nothing, just my dad." He put his arms around me for a few seconds before someone tried to take me away. Zach squeezed me. Painfully hard. I yelped, from the pain in my ribs, and he let go.

"Don't touch her." Nathan said before moving me behind him. "You know what her father does to her and yet you caused her harm."

"I love her, she knows that I didn't mean to do it. I care about her and she cares about me."

"She-" I put my hand on Nathan's back, he looked down at me. I gave him a small smile before stepping around him, but staying close to him.

"Zach I know that you're sorry and that you didn't mean to do it right?"

"I really didn't. I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me, honestly." He had remorse in his eyes.

"I know Zach, I know. We can still be friends but Nathan and John," I gestured to Nate and then John, who had remained quiet this whole time with a blank face, "they're really worried about me and you are a bit of a concern to them. I know that you would never hurt me." I approached Zach, who I could tell was beginning to anger. I put my hands up in a calming gesture. "But you and I both know that you aren't a danger to me. That you would never purposely hurt me. They just want to make sure that they can trust you." I was right in front of him now. I knew that Nathan was ready to jump into action if needed.

"So they're going to be your guard dogs." He was suddenly furious. It was like a switch had been flipped inside his brain. "You're just going to let him do that? Control who you can and can't talk to?"

"No Zach that's not what I'm saying."

"Bullshit." He laughed. It scared me. "Mike told me that you were too smart to fall for Johnson's tricks but I can see now that he was wrong. You're just like Danielle. Nothing but a little slut." He raised his hand to slap me. I closed my eyes prepared for the pain, but nothing came. An arm wrapped around my waist. I looked up to see Nathan holding Zach's wrist. John pulled me away from the two boys as Nathan slammed his fist into Zach's face. I gasped as Zach stumbled back, holding his nose.

"I think you'd better leave." He said with a deadly voice. "I don't want to see you anywhere near her. Don't talk to her, don't look at her, and don't even breathe near her." His voice was low, almost too low for me to hear what he was saying. Nathan grabbed the front of Zach's shirt. "If I catch you doing any of these things you'll find yourself in need of an ambulance, and not just for a broken nose." He let Zach go.

Still holding his nose Zach turned his glare to me. "Nathan won't always be around to protect you. I'll wait till you're alone and I'll take what's rightfully mine." Nathan punched him in the stomach before Zach stumbled out of the house. I could feel myself trembling as John led me to the kitchen and sat me down on a stool at the island.

"Water?" He asked, still tense. I nodded my head.

"Doll?" I heard Nathan call me but I was too shocked at what Zach had said. "Diamond?" I looked up at him and then down at his hand holding mine. His knuckles were bloody.