Chapter 2: High School

All of a sudden one day in the middle of their junior year of high school at Mountain View High School Claire got really sick. Doctors had no idea what was wrong with her. Some doctors thought that she had measles while others thought it was pneumonia or even cancer. Finally the doctors concluded that Claire has a mystery illness... in other words they don't know what is wrong with her so she can't be treated because doctors can't figure out what medicines to give her. Caroline visits Claire almost every single day while in the hospital. Then one day Caroline comes in to visit, but the front desk says to Caroline "Claire can't have any visitors for a while, we have not been told why, but I'm sorry, you may not see her, only immediate family." So Caroline goes outside and calls Claire's mom Melissa, no answer. Caroline then drives to a nearby park and does what she always does when she's stressed, she runs. She usually runs about 2 miles but she lost track of time and was thinking about what could be wrong with Claire. Finally Caroline drives back home and right when she walks into the door, Melissa calls her back. Caroline can tell by her voice that something is wrong. The doctors ran more tests on Claire and have had multiple highly recognized doctors examine Caroline. She has a very rare disease not only about 5000 people have in the world. She has to be transported to a top notch facility that can treat her and hopefully she will recover and return home in a few months, but this facility is halfway around the world. Claire's family thinks it's the best thing for her so she will recover. But what doctors didn't tell Claire's family and they will not find out until they move is that the survival rate is only 1 in 100, so she might not make it through.