twenty-three || "Forever?"

Start from the beginning

Tyler bobbed his head in acknowledgment, his eyes squinted.

"I know what's on your mind so I'm just going to save you the trouble of asking." He looked over his shoulder, alerting my attention to his sister who has now joined us.

"I think I should be the one to explain Tyler."

She rested her hand on his shoulder, sitting down beside him.

"I met your father at a bar. It seemed like we were both having a rough night so I sat and chatted with him for a while. After about an hour of small talk and a few too many drinks, I went to a hotel with him. A seemingly one time thing for the both of us. After that we went our separate ways, I wasn't planning on seeing him again. He's not someone I would usually go for."

She looked down at her hands, playing with her fingers.

"And then I found out I was pregnant and I didn't know what to do. I found out about you and the rest of Tony's family and I felt sick to my stomach for what I had done, for what he had done. I thought my parents would want me to keep face. Image is very important when your family owns a multi-millionaire dollar company, and even though the general public doesn't know the face of Media First, I felt like I was bringing down my family's reputation. The oldest daughter expecting her first child by a married man with two kids! They would have been a laughing stock! So I told him it was best if he stayed with me."

She kept her gaze on her hands, tears hitting them every few seconds.

"I'm sorry. I know you probably think less of me now. But I figured the damage had already been done to his relationship, I thought this arrangement would benefit both of us. But I realize now it only broke him further, it's my fault he started drinking."

She was now full-on sobbing, her head hung in shame.

"You can't blame yourself for that Rachel, and I don't blame you for that either."

Tyler's meddling began to make more and more sense as Rachel continued, "I told my parents everything after the dinner and I was embarrassed that I created that whole plot when they supported me without him from the beginning." Her voice was now strained as she tried to control her tears.

"Tyler did you know it was all to save face?" I imagined if he did he'd just come out and say it, save everyone some time and heartache.

"I had no fucking clue. I was under the impression she actually liked that asshole, no offense."

He always had a way with words.

"I apologize for the way things went down, but I do feel that dinner needed to happen. For our family and yours."

That was one thing I could agree with him on.

"You're right, the dinner needed to happen. So I guess in a strange way I have to thank you for being a prick, no offense."

He laughed, relaxing in his chair.

"None taken."

Satisfied that I was finally able to put this situation to rest I stood up from my seat preparing to take my leave. "Devon?" Rachel composed herself long enough to continue speaking. "I do want you to still come around. I guess we're kind of family in a weird way? My parents adore you and Summer, and my dad meant every word regarding you and football. Tony is going to miss a lot, so I want our kid to know all of his or her family." I looked between the two siblings, both sporting two completely different emotional states. Rachel was a mess, attempting to hold back tears while Tyler was smiling, seemingly having the time of his life. They were an interesting pair and I found myself entertained every time I was around them.