Part fifteen [bone chilling]

Start from the beginning

"I-I'm not sure-" you stuttered.

"If I can do it so can you. Come on walking on water is not that hard." He giggled and pulled you harder until you were out of the boat.

The water was lukewarm underneath your feet and as you walked you noticed the surface of it tilting and reshaping slightly with every step.

Megumi's hand was cold in yours, he didn't say anything as you moved along the surface of the pond. Cranking your neck back you gazed at the empty expanses of the burning yellow skies, how they bled into themselves like paint on a thin canvas.

As you finally arrived and took a good look at the castle you noticed how otherworldly it was in its bizarre ugliness. All of it, the rocks the walls the ground was made out of the same black stone that shone slightly in a magenta color. The structure was ginormous, made out of long thick, and thin streaks of rock that climbed up in jaggedly sculpted lines. Weird gaps in the walls gazing at you with the darkness of the castle's insides.

"You sure have an interesting imagination." The boy mused, tilting his head as if trying to scope the entire building with his eyes.

"Yeah..." You muttered looking at the giant entrance. There were no doors, just an arched opening.

"Let's take a closer look!" The boy chirped and skipped inside, not bothered by the darkness.

You followed him. The halls were long and tall, incredibly so, those same long streaks of sculpted rock climbing up the walls and sinking into the darkness at the very top.

The entire structure was tilting, the ground dipping and arching in different places, certain parts of the wall eighter falling out or sinking into the building.

You also noticed that everything was at least partially wet, the air was humid, small droplets running down the walls and into the shallow puddles on the floor.

Megumi suddenly stopped making you bump slightly into his back. Curious you looked over his shoulder only to freeze at the sight.

On the ground, laying there in the darkness was a small skeleton, presumably of a kid. It looked new, most of the bones attached and without damage creating a logical picture. However, the bone around its left eye was busted open, leaving a gaping hole in the skull.

As you stared down at the corpse you felt eyes linger on you, lifting your head you were met with Megumi's slanted brown optics. You couldn't tell what he was thinking as he stared at you with that expression of both curiosity and indifference.

Moving forward down the hallway you once again froze at the sight of an identical skeleton lying propped up against the wall. This one was thrurryly smashed, its head was cut completely off, the skull laying next to its legs with bits of the neck scattered a few feet down the hall.

You swallowed thickly, the sight was uncanny, to say the least. It was like a scream set on mute, the sight of a horrific murder that laid completely still and told no tales besides that of its own clear demise.

The silver-haired boy in front of you gazed at the stack of bones with a quirked eyebrow before he wordlessly moved down the hallway, you followed him skittishly. 

Another skeleton appeared, this one was more puzzling. All of the bones were in a good state, there were no cracks, no busted ribs. Its form was slack, like a rag doll lying flat against the ground somehow even more motionless than the others. This one did not scream wordlessly, there was no cry behind the depths of its sunken eyes.

"This um..." You suddenly felt the need to explain yourself to the boy at your side whose freckles cracked with light that danced across the wet walls. His eyes were cast down, eyelids heavy over his light brown optics as he stared at the corpse as if it was a piece of puzzle he was looking for for the longest time.