the piano || chaeryoung.taehyun

<<<

<<<

outside the windows of the music room, wind blew the autumn leaves from trees, scattering them all over the sidewalks and everywhere leaves end up..

"it's getting so cold," kai said as he peeked from behind the sheer curtains—he didn't really like the cold and it was a bit chilly in there.

"i'll warm you up," yuna replied from where she sat on a black chair. he looked down at her with a distasteful frown while she grinned up at him.

the soft music of the piano played from the other side of the small room where taehyun sat on the bench—chaeryoung right next to him. they were within ear shot.

"ew," they remarked at the same time, their playing not stuttering for even a moment.

they shared a smile.

"everyone here is 'ew,'" lia commented from where she was sitting criss cross on the ground—of which she said without looking up from her phone.

yuna and her engaged into a half hearted argument—which turned into a discussion about her love life with kai chiming in to give his opinion as the piano duet was coming to a close.

the last note was too short, he thought regrettably.

"how'd i do?"

"acceptable—for now."

in a swift gesture, she pressed a kiss onto the back of his hand, thinking nothing of it besides the fact that she adored him. a wide, eye reaching smile spread across her face.

it caught him off guard—so much so that he needed to replay it back over.

he stared back, face blank. but it didn't faze her—he did this sometimes.

his brain was searching for words to describe this overwhelming feeling in his chest. he short circuited.

red heated his cheeks a moment after she looked away, thinking that no reaction would be the only reaction she was going to get. his heart pounded in his chest, and he was catching his breathe all of sudden. what was this? a heart attack?

kai guffawed from where he was watching. his laugh—to both yuna and lia—was funnier than what was funny.

"are you okay?" chaeryoung asked, slightly alarmed but unable to withhold the smile breaking out.

what would be the consequences of sprinting out of there, he wondered.

"i'm fine," he managed to choke out, looking down at the piano keys. a hand was on his cheek so she couldn't see the flush on his face (though there was no point).

he exhaled a deep breath and cleared his throat. play it cool please, he thought to himself.

"taehyun!" kai squealed, "you're so cute!"

turning his head, taehyun glared at him, standing up with a frown. he was picking a fight and he would get one.

as taehyun tried to choke him, chaeryoung thought how right kai was.