7.9

"So, that's everything then? All packed for tomorrow?" Camden asks, leaning against the door frame of Chris' room and watching the other man zip up his bag.

Chris glances around and, other than the toiletries he's still going to need for a shower and brush his teeth in the morning, it's pretty much back to how it was when he arrived to stay with Camden. "Yeah. Got a few odd bits but they'll be put away before I leave."

Camden nods to himself as he does his own survey of the room, just on the off chance that Chris overlooked something even though he knows the man is pretty thorough. When he doesn't see anything that wasn't already there before, he turns his attention to the man. "Bet you're happy to be going home to your own place, your own bed even."

He frown when Chris just shrugs as he deposits his bag out of the way again for now.

"Wait... Are you not glad to be going back?" Camden tries to understand. "To be going back to your normal routine and all that?"

"I mean, yeah, but..." Chris sighs. "I guess I just got used to this routine we've created here so it just feels weird to be going back to my old one. But I know I have to because of work."

Camden is quiet as he tries to figure out what he can say in response to Chris' confession, but he is drawing a blank. Chris apparently sees his struggle and puts him out of his misery.

"It's okay; I'm just venting, not expecting you to come up with a solution or plan of action."

"Oh." Camden nods in understanding before glancing down the hallway behind himself when he hears nails clicking on the floor, announcing the approach of Dodger. "Hey, boy. Coming to check on us, huh?"

He pats Dodger when the dog pauses to greet him before letting him wander over to his owner, whose feet the dog flops onto almost immediately as Chris leans down to scratch Dodger's belly. Camden chuckles at the display before clearing his throat to get Chris' attention one last time.

"Hey, I'm going to order some takeout for us since it's your last full day here, so I'll let you know when it gets here."

"From-"

"Yes, from that place since it's basically your favourite one here."

"Yes!" Chris cheers, and Camden laughs at his enthusiasm before leaving Chris to his own devices again while he goes to actually order the food he just promised the other man.

-

With a resolute slam of the tailgate, it's official; Chris is all packed up and ready to go home. Camden makes a fuss of Dodger one last time before letting him go, watching as the dog happily hops into the car once Chris opens the door for him.

"That's everything then." Chris comments once he's shut the car door again.

Camden nods in agreement before slipping his hands into his pockets. "Rush hour isn't for a couple hours so it should be a pretty quiet drive for a while."

"Sounds peaceful."

They share an amused smile before Chris moves closer to where Camden is leaning on the door frame of the open front door, stopping just in front of him. They pause for a short moment, taking in their last moments in person together before everything will go back to being over the phone again. Camden lets out an amused huff, though, when Chris holds his arms out inviting him closer for a hug.

"Drive safe." He mumbles against Chris' shoulder, as he falls easily into the embrace and returns the affection by wrapping his arms around the other man.

Although they usually like to joke around when either of them makes a mushy comment, this moment is more serious so there is no evidence of teasing or dishonesty when Chris replies. "Of course."

Separating, Camden squeezes Chris' shoulder with a nod of acknowledgement, meeting the older man's eyes easily with a soft smile. "Don't forget to text me so I know you made it back okay, right?"

Chris laughs. "Don't worry, I won't forget. Talk to you later, Cam."

Waving, he watches as Chris walks backwards for a couple steps, still facing him, before finally turning around making his way to his car. Once inside, Camden waits on his doorstep to watch Chris reverse out of the driveway and waves one last time as Chris glances his way once last time once he's straightened the car on the road. Chris briefly waves back as Dodger watches through the back window, before finally pulling away from the curb and driving away, leaving Camden to make his way back inside the house he's gotten used to sharing with another person.