Chapter 1- Just Hikaru

Fact #1: Hikaru hates Eggplants

~~~

Is family that important?

I don't get it at all.

Is blood so strong that it could tie you to a person forever, regardless of your own will? People have always said that blood is thicker than water. That no matter what, your family will always have your back. They'll always be there when you need a shoulder to cry on, or if you need help covering up a murder, or anything at all.

But what is so important about blood? We're all the same. At the end of the day, if you cut and slice someone up, red blood will flow. We all have the same blood and if you don't, then something is very wrong.

You see it all the time. People are constantly looking down or praised for something another 'family member' did. What's the use in blaming or praising someone else for something they did or didn't do?

What even is family?

Mother? Father? Brother? Sister? Aunt? Uncle? Whatever?

I have none of those. Not a single one. That means I can't be judged because of another person, right?

Wrong.

Just because my mother died giving birth to me, I've all of a sudden been labelled a devil child. As if I tore myself out of her and sucked out her life force with me. As if I did it on purpose.

As if I did it on purpose.

I don't understand how I can be blamed for something that was way out of control and something I didn't choose. Wasn't she the one who decided to have a child regardless of her weak body? Wasn't she the one who went into this knowing what could happen? Isn't she the one to be blamed?

My name is Hikaru. Just Hikaru. Who cares about my family name? At the end of the day, I'm just me. Isn't that all the matters?

So why doesn't anyone else get that?

~~~

We were planning on going to Sunagakure.

I didn't know why. I never know why because he never tells me why. I would always just silently pack our supplies and wonder what kind of sights I'll see this time.

Hinote tells me where we're going, and I do my best to do as much research as I can before we leave. This time, I was so excited because that's where the one-tailed lived.

I knew there was no way I was ever going to meet him, let alone see him, but I still couldn't help but be very curious about him.

As we walked side by side, I could feel the whispers and the stares as I did nothing but mind my own business.

But because my mother decided to have a child she didn't have the strength to bear, it's all my fault. Because she was an unmarried woman having a child without the father around, I was filthy. Because of her, I hear the horrible things people say.

"They're leaving again. Don't come back, please."

"Devil child."

"Bad omen."

You know, that kind of stuff.

I stuck my tongue out and mimicked them using my hands. Hinote lightly slapped me in the back of my head, telling me to stop. Smirking, I just crossed my arms and held my head up high.

Doesn't bother me. Not a single bit.

When I was younger than I am now, I would agonise other it. It was all I ever thought about because I didn't understand why I was hearing all these awful things. I wasn't sure if I did something wrong and I so desperately wanted to find out, so I could fix it. So I could be a normal child.