chapter x. sweet melody-2

Start from the beginning

It had happened during one Christmas night, right in front of your families who had been celebrating Christmas dinner together, and you had imagined a winter wedding where you would be wearing an ivory gown that would sparkle together with the white snow. But Aron still had another year of residency at the hospital in the neighbouring city, so you waited patiently for that year to quickly pass by, hoping that you would be completely ready to be his bride when the day would finally arrive.

Yet, fate had decided to turn the entire course of your life around only a few months before the day of your wedding would finally come.

You still cannot recall what had made him decide to join his fellow doctors in training to spend the weekend on the mountain lodge that winter. But Aron had been spending the past three months at the hospital without the break that he deserved, and you had watched him going through the toughest residency period ever that you admitted that he deserved to have the short break that he needed more than ever before the holidays. You had been wary about going with him, but both of you had simply brushed it off with the notion that perhaps you were feeling uncomfortable about meeting the people you weren't too familiar with. After a lot of consideration, both of you were off to take the trip on his beloved old truck that he had been using for years.

The trip to the mountains had been quite challenging, with Aron taking the wheel and you were not used to travelling through the wilderness.

And yet the weekend had ended up being splendid, when you found yourself relaxing at the lodge while being surrounded by the amazing people that your fiancé had spent months working together with. Until the moment when the hospital called, and the weekend off was cut short when Aron and a few of his friends had to return to the city to provide some extra help as the hospital had to deal with the overwhelming number of patients coming in due to the terrible weather.

To this day, you still wonder what would have happened if only you had done something different on that very day.

Perhaps if you had been trained properly in driving through the snow so you could take over the wheel when he was too tired to drive.

Perhaps if you had left the lodge five minutes early, or maybe five minutes late.

Perhaps if Aron had listened when Minhyun joked about his tires needed a change.

But all the wondering had meant nothing when fate played its part in letting everything fall into place.

On the road down from the mountains, the weather suddenly grew worse. The snowfall began to grow thicker, covering your line of sight and making it hard for any of you to navigate through the road properly. And it didn't matter how meticulous your fiancé had been when it came to driving, because he couldn't stop nature from taking over. All it took was for the tires to slide across an icy spot on the road and nothing could stop the car from falling out of its course, sending it veering off the main road when Aron lost total control of it until you started to roll down the hills below.

It had happened so fast that you can no longer remember all the details of what had truly transpired then. The only thing you still remember is the shock and panic that you felt right at the defining moment, the fear that engulfed you like the storm going on outside when there was nothing you could do to stop it when the car kept rolling upside down, when the sound of metals and glass breaking was so deafeningly loud, that you couldn't even hear your own voice as you were screaming in both pain and fear.

But what had broken you the most was opening your eyes the moment everything simply stopped, only to find your entire world splintered into nothing when the love of your life was left as a completely broken man, when you found him bleeding horribly while being completely immobile in his seat, not giving you a sign of ever opening his eyes no matter how hard you cried out his name.