[R/D]chapter thirty four: fireside bonding.

Start from the beginning

"Its like a code name, if we speak over phone we use the numbers, and if one of us is missing or in danger we say the numbers of them and ask for assistance."
I explain.

"So yours is '956'?"
Karl asks.

"Yeah, special forces doesn't have a lot of officers, at least not in my state."
I say.

"...does anyone ever use it?"
Karl asks.

"I was only on the force for a few days before this happened, so...just once or twice."
I say.

"A few days?"
Karl repeats.

"Yeah, this is actually my first mission...or was, im not too sure if I'll stay in the force after this."
I explain.

"Damn...sent to total hell blindly...what did they tell you when they shoved you here?"
Karl asks.

"That...that i would be going on a solo mission, one that would be perfect for me. I was supposed to be handed a sheet telling me what to do once i was here, but...i guess i burned in the crash."
I explain.

"So you came here, completely unaware?"
Karl asks.

"Yep, knowing nothing but the code word i was supposed to be called by when they picked me up."
I say.

"Huh...i could call you nines."
Karl jokes.

"Don't you dare."
I say with a smile.

I start to press the thin metal sheet into something, like an origami swan...i don't even remember when i learned this, but its sure as hell a good time passer.

"What the hell are you doing?"
Karl asks.

"Making an origami swan."
I say.

I finish it and set it in-between me and Karl, smiling at my little swan child...it kinda reminds me of those geese from that lake, except this doesn't want to eat my soul.

"...wanna see something?"
Karl asks.

"Always."
I say, Karl grins and raises his arm up.

The metal swan slowly floats into the air, moving in circles like its in water, karl manipulates the metal to make it move around the two of us...its beautiful.

"Wow.."
I mumble, looking at it as it travels around us.

"Yeah, since it metal i can fuck around with it."
Karl says.

"Its amazing..."
I whisper, karl smiles, instead of his dumb grin or cocky smile...its an actually soft one.

"Yep...really amazing."
Karl mumbles, i look at him with a smile, expecting him to see him focusing on the metal swan...but he's just staring at me.

"You're a great guy."
I say.

"And you're a great Officer...for once im not gonna be an asshole, so...you're cool."
Karl says.

The swan drifts to me, poking my nose with its beak before slowly falling, Karl moves closer to me so it falls into his hands, once it does, we're less than a few inches apart.

"Thanks for making this with me..the soup, i mean...thanks."
I say.

"Well...you need food, humans need food and shit like that...it was pretty fun to fuck around in the village though."
Karl says.

"Yeah, it was...and now we can have hot food and sleep all night, a perfect end to the adventure."
I say, smiling a little, he smiles as well.

"Maybe it'll be calmer tomorrow...less fucking chaos and more of just sitting around."
Karl says.

"I hope so..."
I mumble.

"Who knows how much relaxing time we'll have, after Miranda's gone you and Ben will be off to wherever you're from...i wonder what I'll do...maybe fuck around and scare kids."
Karl says.

"Well, I told you that I'd like you to come with us to my town...that hasn't changed."
I say, he tilts his head with a confused expression.

"...im still confused, Why do you want me to come with you?"
He asks.

"You're great, You're kind, and You're the reason im even going home...i want you to have a great life after we escape...and I'd also love to see you a lot after this."
I say, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"...you surprise me daily."
He whispers, smiling again.

"Well im Heisenberg number two, of course im a damn mystery!"
I joke, he chuckles and takes his sunglasses off, putting them over my eyes, i stare at him through them...he actually has really pretty eyes, brown, but almost completely covered by gold flex..like what i saw in the dark when i met him in the castle.

"There, now you really are Heisenberg number two."
Karl says.

"thanks..."
I mumble, putting a hand on the part that goes beside my ears.

"Well...No problem...."
He says quietly, putting his hand over the one i have on the glasses.

Its silent for a few seconds, its just us sitting by the fire...its so peaceful, just him and i....its like we aren't even in the village.

"Oh, the-uh...the pot."
I mumble, letting go of the glasses, his hand falls as well as i turn back to the soup.

"Oh yeah, forgot about it.."
He says.

"I think its done, can you do your metal thing and get us a bowl?"
I ask, he shrugs and raises his hand.

A metal cap-like thing flings into his hand, its around the size of a bowl, but i think its something like a plane cap.

"We can use this."
Karl says, scooping it into the pot, he hands it to me once its filled with the soup..it smells amazing!

"Nice..!"
I praise.

the fire starts to lessen quickly, its getting cold...but the fire is what's keeping the soup from freezing in this temperature, we need it.

"Shit, do we have any more fire wood?"
Karl asks.

"Nope...i have a sweater in my backpack, you could use that for a kindle cloth if you want."
I say.

"Sure, its in the lab, right?"
Karl says.

"Yeah."
I say, karl gets up and walks to the factory door, as he opens it, he turns back.

"And no-"

"No getting kidnapped, i know."
I say with a smile, he grins as well.

"Good Officer."
He says, closing the door behind him.

I trail my eyes to the 'bowl' in my hands...it'll probably taste great, but..i know somebody who'd probably love it too, someone other than Karl..