Criteria for the second round

Start from the beginning

Plot and structure
25-20 points
The author skillfully develops a plot line with a creative and defined setting. It is also an effective and engaging story based on a complex and challenging issue(s), steadily building suspense to a surprising climactic ending. The story has been planned perfectly with no plot holes and keeps the reader continually informed and entertained. There are vivid details that are accurate and well-focused. There is a strong beginning, middle, and end. The story should have a smooth and varied transition with correct paragraphing, creative and original ideas, dialogue, etc. The story has a nice flow and doesn't move too slow or too fast. There are no confusing time skips or endless POV's switched throughout the story. 

19-12
The story is well structured, climbing to a surprising and suspenseful ending around a complex and challenging issue. There are some plot holes or discrepancies. The chapters have been well thought out and there is logical sequencing and ideas based on purpose and linked to the theme. Resolution and denouement reinforce the theme and give closure. There are clear ideas with supporting details. A beginning, middle, and ending are presented. The use of accurate transition words with correct paragraphing. It is mostly original and has an interesting use of ideas and plot. The author has quite a few time skips and POV changes but this does not disrupt the story. 

11-6
The story has a main theme but lacks structure. The chapters do not seem to be planned out ahead and there are quite a few ''filler'' chapters as is the author doesn't know themselves where their story is going. Some chapters or events are isolated with weak sequencing. There are few details present and it does not stay on topic. The story has a limited beginning/ending with few transitions, though it does have some structure, it has irregular paragraphing with little originality in ideas and plot. There are too many unnecessary time skips and POV changes, which disrupt the flow of the story. Sometimes there are multiple within a single chapter. 

5-0
There is no main theme evident in the story. The chapters are chaotic and with no direction. It is not clear which message the author is trying to bring to the readers. this leaves the readers confused and unsatisfied. There are missing or unclear details and does not stay on topic. The beginning and ending are missing. No transition. Incorrect structure. Lack of paragraphing. lacks originality in plot and ideas. The author endlessly changes POV's and uses time skips every few paragraphs. Completely throwing off the flow of the story and the reader isn't able to connect with the story. 

Punctuation, spelling, grammar, and vocabulary
25-20
There are few or no errors in grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling. There is a strong use of interesting/vivid words. The sentences consistently vary and enhance the writing of the piece. There is a proper use of tenses and there are no confusing switches between past and present. There are no typos. 

19-12
Some errors in grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling, but not enough to hinder reading of the story. Uses a variety of interesting words. The sentence structure varies; varieties in beginnings and length the author sometimes switched tenses, but it's not noticeable or disrupts the story.  

11-6
Abundant errors in grammar, punctuation, and/spelling, which are enough to confuse or distract the reader. There is a texting-style dialogue. The story is beginning to use interesting words with simple and or repetitive sentence structure and little variety. The author noticeable switches tense which makes the story confusing and not clear at which time the story is taking place. 

5-0
Glaring numbers or errors in grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling, which distract the reader end impede understanding. The words are repetitive and simple with incomplete/run-on sentences. The author relentlessly switched tense and the story doesn't make sense anymore and the reader is left confused. 

Characters
25-20
A range of devises such as dialogue and actions (gestures, expression skillfully advances the plot, gives insight into characters, and keeps the reader continually informed and entertained. The characters stay true to themselves throughout the story, they don't have unexplainable sudden changes in character (having blue hair one chapter and blonde the next). The characters are realistic you could imagine having the character as your friend or enemy. The characters explained throughout the story are their actions justified the reader can feel for an with the character throughout the story. 

19-12
There is a range of devices such as dialogue and action (gestures and expressions) that advance the plot and give insight into characters and keeps the reader entertain. The characters stay true to themselves throughout the story, they don't have unexplainable sudden changes in character (having blue hair one chapter and blonde the next). The characters aren't completely realistic but not that noticeable that it disconnects the reader from the characters. The character is well explained but sometimes the author doesn't justify their actions which can leave the reader confused. 

11-6
Attempts to use details and or anecdotes, suspense, dialogue, and action, but with minimal effectiveness. The characters are unrealistic and it's difficult to imagine the people in real life. The characters their actions aren't well explained leaving the reader disconnected from the personality of the people.

5-0
Fails to use details, anecdotes, dialogue, suspense, and/or action. The characters have no character. Lacks any character detailing or development. 

Storytelling/emotions
25-20
The author perfectly portrays the emotions of the characters. You were invested in the story from the first to the last sentence and weren't able to put the book down. The reader is able to empathize with the characters and clearly able to imagine the story. The message that the author wants to tell with the story is concrete and compelling. The balance between descriptions, surroundings, dialogue, and emotions throughout the story was perfect.  

19-12
The author is able to portray the emotions of the characters. You were invested in the story and weren't able to put the book down. The reader is able to empathize with the characters and is able to imagine the story. However, in some events, the actions and choices of the characters weren't explained in detail, but this did not that noticeable and doesn't go against the character's personality. The message the author wants to tell with the story is concrete and compelling. The balance between description, surroundings, and emotions were good, but some paragraphs focused a bit too much on either of the above. 

11-6
The author is not able to portray the emotions of the characters. The reader feels disconnected from the characters and isn't able to empathize with the characters. The characters sometimes make decisions that are not true to their personality making the reader confused with the decisions and in turn can't imagine the story. It was difficult to read the book and you had to force yourself to sit down and read the chapters. The author didn't have a clear message for the reader or the author tried to put multiple messages into the story making it chaotic and difficult to understand which message the author is trying to convey throughout the story.  The balance between description, surroundings, and emotions was off, some chapters were completely focused on either of the above (for example the author has a chapter that only describes a castle).

5-0
The author doesn't use any emotions in her story and the reader feels completely disconnected from the story. The story is a complete chaos and the read is not able to imagine the story at all and is left confused and frustrated. Rather than continuing the story, they wanted to throw it out of the window. It was a struggle to get through the book. The author didn't have a message for the reader or tried to convey so many different messages that the reader doesn't know what the story is about anymore. The balance between description, surroundings, and emotions was off, the whole story was completely focused on either of the above (for example a story with only dialogue and no description or thoughts or anything else than people talking to each other).

HOST NOTE:
Emotions/storytelling and plot/setting seem similar but the plot setting is about the structure of how is everything is written technically and emotions are if the author was actually able to convey the message towards the reader. Sometimes the author can come up with the most amazing plot but isn't able to describe the emotions or there is no balance between the topics and the reader wouldn't be able to empathize with the character or the story at all.