d a y 1 - e x t r a

Story of an Egyptian man (Related by the speaker) 

-There was a young man who had forsaken his religion, he'd just waste away his time with his friends, going to the hookah bars and all that. He didn't even perform one religious duty. One Friday he felt like going to the masjid. There in Egypt (abroad) there are masjids in the basement of your apartments - he went inside the masjid while the khutbah was going on. The speaker was talking about DHIKR - the two phrases which weigh more than anything else on the scales.

"‏كلمتان خفيفتان على اللسان، ثقيلتان في الميزان، حبيبتان إلى الرحمن‏:‏ سبحان الله وبحمده، سبحان الله العظيم‏"‏

As the man entered the masjid and sat, the hadith struck him the whole time - he didn't focus on the Salah nor the rest of khutbah but he was Just lost in that one Hadith

After the prayer, he went to the imam and asked him "Is it true? What you said" the imam was like "what?" He repeated the hadith, saying is it true?

Imam replied, obviously. He went home, called his wife and children, gathered them near him and told them about this glorious hadith.

"‏كلمتان خفيفتان على اللسان، ثقيلتان في الميزان، حبيبتان إلى الرحمن‏:‏ سبحان الله وبحمده، سبحان الله العظيم‏"‏

"There are two statements that are light for the tongue to remember, heavy in the Scales and are dear to the Merciful: 'Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi, Subhan-Allahil-Azim [Glory be to Allah and His is the praise, (and) Allah, the Greatest is free from imperfection]'."

That one hadith changed his life. He stopped going to the hookahs with his friends, in fact even told them about the hadith - their reaction was "What happened to you, bro?"

Time passed on and whoever he met, he'd relate that hadith to them.

One day he fell sick and called for his kids asking them to call the imam from masjid and when he came - the imam sat by him and the young man recited the same ahadith

 "‏كلمتان خفيفتان على اللسان، ثقيلتان في الميزان، حبيبتان إلى الرحمن‏:‏ سبحان الله وبحمده، سبحان الله العظيم‏"‏ 

And he breathed his last.

What a touching and inspiring story - one verse, one Ahadith is enough for a man to come back to Allah.

Hearing this story made me remember Story of Fudayl bin Iyyad and also Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him).

Riyad as-Salihin » The Book of the Remembrance of Allah

كتاب الأذكار 16

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "There are two statements that are light for the tongue to remember, heavy in the Scales and are dear to the Merciful: 'Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi, Subhan-Allahil-Azim [Glory be to Allah and His is the praise, (and) Allah, the Greatest is free from imperfection]'."

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

وعن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال‏:‏ قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم‏:‏ ‏ "‏كلمتان خفيفتان على اللسان، ثقيلتان في الميزان، حبيبتان إلى الرحمن‏:‏ سبحان الله وبحمده، سبحان الله العظيم‏"‏ ‏(‏‏(‏متفق عليه‏)‏‏)‏‏