Chapter 2 - Who I Really Am

Chapter Two - Who I Really Am

Actually, I am Shamira, a 15 year old girl.  I live in the country with my parents,  my horses Hope and Hero, and my cat Dusty.  I have decided to keep a journal in my head, as I obviously can not write anymore. I miss reading, watching TV, and playing avirtualhorse on the computer.  I've always admired horses, but I never thought about all the things they couldn't do.  I think I will even miss going to school!  But what I miss the most is my family, my friends, and my boyfriend Ryan. 

It was just yesterday that  my life changed.  The Millers are really nice.  I know that Jacob and Kelly will take good care of me.  Their little sister Shianne is sweet too.  She is so cute with her piggy tails, freckled face, and enthusiastic smile.  She is like the little sister I always wanted. 

Shianne, Kelly, and Jacob are here right now.  "I brought an apple for you horsey," Shianne says, as she holds it right in front of my face.  I grab it with my mouth.  It is the best apple I have ever tasted, or at least the best thing I have tasted since I became a horse.

Kelly is carrying a lead rope and bridle and Jacob is carrying a saddle and blanket.  When their dad arrives, he helps them put on the tack.  The saddle feels tight, but it is okay.  I do not like the feel of the bridle, however.  The bit is hard and cold in my mouth and makes me feel like gagging.  I spit it out.  Mr. Miller tries again.  I guess I'm going to have to get used to this. 

Mr. Miller hangs on to the lead rope as he walks me outside.  Jacob is the first to take a turn riding me.  He has ridden my horses before so I know that he will know what to do.  It makes me feel strong to be able to carry Jacob, who is quite a bit bigger than me, well at least he was.  I start out walking slow, then ease into a trot.  I feel the wind whip through my mane and it makes me feel free again. 

Kelly and Shianne also take turns riding on me.  "She is a gentle horse," Mr. Miller says.  "I just wish we knew where she came from."

"She's our horsey, Daddy," Shianne says. "I love her,"

"She is a nice horse," Mr. Miller says.  "But if we find her real family, we'll have to give her back."

After the Millers go to the house, another visitor appears.  It is my cat Dusty!  He walks in a circle around me and meows, like he's trying to tell me something.  Could he possibly know who I am?  Not likely, I'm afraid, but it still is great to see him. 

I wonder what my parents are doing right now?  Are they looking for me?  Or do they think that I am dead?  I don't know how Caitlin could do something so terrible!  If I ever become human again, I will make sure she pays for what she did!  But in the meantime, it is a totally unbelievable experience going through life as a horse.