─ ¹⁷. I'M TELLING YOU, HE'S NOT BLOODY THERE!

Start from the beginning

"He wouldn't," Hermione persisted, "He knows what's at stake. He wouldn't just leave, at the risk of leaving me and Harry!"

"You know what, I've just thought of something," said Ron in a hushed voice. "Sirius's brother was a Death Eater, wasn't he? Maybe he told Sirius the secret of how to get the weapon!"

"Yeah—and that's why Dumbledore's been so keen to keep Sirius locked up all the time!" said Harry.

"That's not it! Reggie knew things but he would sure as hell not tell my dad!" Hermione snapped at both of them. "They weren't even talking when I was born, you bloody morons, and then he died. My dad isn't in the Department of Mysteries!"

"Hermione, Harry's seen them!" said Ron, rounding on her.

"Well, Harry also thought he saw a unicorn when he first produced his Patronus, but guess what? He's a bloody manycorn!"

"You don't get it!" Harry shouted at her. "I'm not having nightmares, I'm not just dreaming! What d'you think all the Occlumency was for, why d'you think Dumbledore wanted me prevented from seeing these things? Because they're REAL, Hermione—Sirius is trapped—Your dad—I've seen him—Voldemort's got him, and no one else knows, and that means we're the only ones who can save him, and if you don't want to do it, fine, but I'm going, understand? And if I remember rightly, you didn't have a problem with my saving-people-thing when it was you I was saving from the dementors, or"—he rounded on Ron—"when it was your sister I was saving from the basilisk —"

"I never said I had a problem!" said Ron heatedly.

"That was low, Harry," Hermione said coldly, "Ron didn't even have a choice. He got stuck with a bloody moron. Like you're being right now!"

"IF YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO ACT LIKE I HAVEN'T SEEN —"

"I'M TELLING YOU, HE'S NOT BLOODY THERE!"

"HERMIONE IT'S YOUR DAD —"

The classroom door opened. Harry, Ron, and Hermione whipped around. Ginny walked in, looking curious, followed by Luna, who as usual looked as though she had drifted in accidentally.

"Hi," said Ginny uncertainly. "We recognized Harry's voice—what are you yelling about?"

"Never you mind," said Harry roughly.

Ginny raised her eyebrows.

"There's no need to take that tone with me," she said coolly. "I was only wondering whether I could help."

"Well, you can't," said Harry shortly.

"You're being rather rude, you know," said Luna serenely.

Harry swore and turned away. The very last thing he wanted now was a conversation with Luna Lovegood.

"They can help!" Hermione said.

Harry and Ron looked at her.

"Listen, if you're not gonna listen to me we have to make sure I'm right—" she said, even though she knew it wouldn't give any results.

"I've told you, I saw—"

"Harry! It's my dad! I know what's at stake!" said Hermione desperately. "Please, let's just check. We have to be sure before taking off to London!"

"Sirius is being tortured NOW!" shouted Harry. "We haven't got time to waste—"

"Harry, you know me! I may be a cold-hearted bitch but I care! I wouldn't be saying this if I knew he was being tortured! He's my dad, you dipshit!"

"How?" Harry demanded. "How're we going to check?"

"Umbitch's fire," said Hermione without skipping a beat. "We need a distraction and lookouts and that's where Gigi and Luna can come in."