Chapter 1: New Year

April, 2007

Japan, Saitama (city)

A five year old boy with short blonde hair parted to the side with a black lightning-shaped streak on the left side of his fringe had gone hiking in a forest with his mother and father. The hike had gone pretty well for the family until suddenly, a grey blob-like monster with six arms and a large mouth appeared out of nowhere and began attacking the family. The blonde haired boy stared in shock at the monster in front of him and his family; he had started to see monsters similar to the creature that was in front of him a few weeks ago around the city and had been terrified of them. He had started to camp out in his room so that he could avoid seeing those monsters. His parents had started to become concerned for him; they tried to get him to tell them what was wrong but he wouldn't say.

After a few weeks they had decided that enough was enough and decided to drag him out of his room and force him to go on a hike with them. The blonde haired boy yelled and screamed at his parents to let him go back to his room, but they didn't listen as they dragged him to their car and drove to the nearest forest. Once the blonde haired boy arrived at the forest, he started to feel a small sense of relief when he saw that the monsters that he had seen a few weeks were nowhere in sight. It was due to this revelation that the blonde haired boy stopped giving his parents a hard time and reluctantly followed them on the hike, genuinely believing that he wouldn't encounter those monsters since they had been so far away from the city.

'I wanna go home, I wanna go home!,' the blonde haired boy thought frantically.

"W-what the hell is that thing?!," the blonde haired boy's father yelled in fear.

Before the mother could reply, the monster grabbed her with two of its six arms. The blonde haired boy's father's eyes widened in fear as he watched the creature hold onto his wife before quickly turning to his son.

"Run, Denki! Don't let that thing get you!," the boy's father yelled at him.

Without even second-guessing his father's command, Denki ran away from the monster as fast as he could, not daring to look back in fear of seeing it chasing after him. After what felt like hours, Denki ran out of energy and decided to stop running and lean against a tree as he tried to recover his stamina. Before he could fully recover his stamina, Denki felt a cold presence coming from behind him. He reluctantly and fearfully turned around and saw that the monster had managed to catch up with him.

"No, no, no! Stay away from me!," Denki screamed as he tried to run away from the blob-like monster.

Unfortunately, Denki couldn't escape from the monster since he tripped over a tree branch as he tried to run away. The fear that Denki felt was so crippling that he couldn't push himself off the floor and get up off the floor.

"Stop! Get away from me!," Denki yelled while trying to crawl away as the creature approached him. "Help! Help me, please!"

Tears ran down Denki's face as the monster got closer and closer to him. Just as the creature was about to grab onto Denki, someone sliced through its body vertically with a katana, causing it to die and fade away instantly. Denki wiped away his tears and got a good look at the person who had killed the blob-like monster that tried to hurt him. Once his eyesight was no longer blurry, he saw that the person who saved him was a tall and slender man with pale skin and messy, shoulder length black hair with an unkempt beard, and black, tired looking eyes, giving him the appearance of a hobo. The man wore a pair of gold goggles around his neck, a long-sleeved black shirt, matching pants, black boots, and a belt that held his katana's sheath. Once the man made eye contact with Denki, he quickly sheathed with his blade, got close to Denki, and kneeled down in front of him.