Chapter 3: A Medic's Triumph

George watched as billows of smoke poured off the bonfire in the middle of the clearing. He was eager to rest after their long journey, and enjoyed stretching back and relaxing after the stressful day. He felt his eyes beginning to droop close, but refused to allow himself to sleep. Every time George closed his eyes he saw the glistening swords the soldiers had held against him. If Sapnap hadn't showed up in time, George would have been toast. And not the delicious kind you eat with butter and jam, George thought glumly.

General Sapnap let out a laugh, and George felt the wild man clap a hand on his shoulder. George gulped, immediately recoiling from the touch. It had been a while since George had been around other people, and something about Sapnap's arm on his shoulder made his skin crawl.

"I'm proud of this man right here," Sapnap laughed, lifting his beer bottle up into the night air as he shook George's shoulder. The soldiers surrounding them talked and laughed in a clamor that George found overwhelming but also enticing.
"Whatz your name again?" Sapnap asked after a moment, tilting his head.

"George."

"George, yes!" Sapnap turned to the others in the group. "So what had happened was, I bu-"

Suddenly, a loud horn cut through the noise, causing Sapnap to jolt upright. Clearly sobered, Sapnap without hesitation tossed his mostly empty bottle into the fire, causing the flame to erupt upwards into the dark night sky. The chatters came to a stop until the only thing that could be heard was a soft clomping of horse feet and heavy breathing. George looked up to see a tall man on horseback, sporting a green coat over a black shirt and wearing a smiley mask. The man's hair was dirty blonde, with lighter tips that waved easily in the breeze. His hair looked really soft and floaty, almost as if it was lighter then air.

The man leapt off his horse gracefully, tossing his mask to the side as he did so. George gulped as he gazed upon the man's face. His features were... chiseled in a sense. Sharp jaw and cheekbones and blazing green eyes that danced in the firelight. Silently, George sank back, watching as Sapnap stood and rushed to meet the man.

"Prince Dream," Sapnap noted civilly. "I see you have returned."

"Of course." The man's voice was so low, it was almost a whisper. He glanced around the camp, surveying the troops. George wondered if the hearty group of warriors were what he'd expected. After another heartbeat of silence, Dream spoke once more.

"As you were."

Slowly, the chatter around the fire continued as Sapnap and Dream spoke in hushed whispers. After a while, George began to stand to stretch his feet and figured he could go and find his tent. Maybe if he was lucky he'd catch a couple hours of sleep...

Just as George started walking over towards the tents, he heard a loud booming voice from behind him.

"Hey, George-"

George turned to see General Sapnap. What did he want?

"Yes?"

"Yes sir," Sapnap amended, a tight line stretching across his lips. "I would like to speak with you."

George warily stepped over the fire logs and made his way over to the general and prince. He wondered what they needed to speak with him for. Maybe to reprimand him for his cowardice in battle? If that was the case, George hoped his punishment was to be sent home. Back to his little mushroom kingdom just him and Shadow...

"What would you like to speak with me about?" George asked.

"Prince Dream would like to hear more details about the attack," Sapnap explained.