Chapter 1

Lisa nervously paced around the drawing room.

She was so tense that she didn't even recognize that she was biting her nails until the Duke of Cross came inside. When she heard the sound of his cane hitting the floor, Lisa hurriedly hid her hands behind her back.

"Didn't I warn you a thousand times about that nasty habit?"

"Sorry, sorry father..."

Lisa bowed her head at his father's cold voice. The duke clicked his tongue as he looked at the scene.

"Don't embarrass me. You've got more luck than you deserve. I won’t forgive you if you’ll cause trouble to your family with your dirty behavior."

A cold sweat ran behind her back. She stiffened in fear and opened her mouth with difficulty.

"I will do as my father says, I will...He, as soon as he comes....”

She could tell what her father's face looked like even without looking up. When she spoke, he always had an abominable look towards her. Lisa tried to carry on her words as calmly as she could.

"Father, I'll try, I'll see. This, this marriage, this....”

"Stop!"

The Duke of Cross hit the floor with his cane.

"Today, today... No, but can't you just be calm for a few hours? Who the hell would want a wife who is so noisy!"

"Well, I..."

"Jungkook is no longer a low-ranking knight! He became one of the most prestigious masters on the continent, and he’s a ‘bold warrior’ who defeated Red Dragon! If he wants to, the temple will give him a divorce permit."

Just imagining it was horrible, and Lisa sighed loudly

"The dignity of the Cross family shouldn't be tainted by a sudden divorcee daughter! We can't let the family become a laughing stock because of you."

She bit her lips. The counterargument ‘it’s not my fault’ soared to her throat. She had never wanted to marry Jungkook Calypse. It was the Duke himself who pushed ahead with the marriage that no one wanted.

Whether he had read such rebellious ideas, his father was coldly sarcastic.

"If you were half as beautiful as Rina, I wouldn't have had to take this road to please him!"

When she remembered her half-sister, who was beautiful as a rose, a handful of rebelliousness faded like sand. Looking down at her pale, weary face, the Duke of Cross added ruthlessly.

"You can't even win King Ruben's heart! What a useless daughter!"

"Ha, but...He's, uh, he's got a wedding, the next day....”

Lisa was originally promised to a king but the king ended up marrying another.

But, this was not her fault.

She was about to tell his father that she didn't have a chance to have a proper conversation with the King let alone capture his heart.

Suddenly, she was struck on the side with a cane, and she curled up in a horrified gasp. 

"Don't even think about talking back to me. Just thinking about that horrible way of saying things makes me angry!"

She nodded hurriedly for fear of another object hurled at her. The duke, who had his lips twitched as if he were going to use more vitriol, swung back his cane at the sound of a knock on the door. From beyond the door came the quiet voice of the maid.