Chapter 27

"There's no couch."

The hotel room was immaculate. Filled with warm afternoon light that glittered in from the expansive balcony, like specks of gold. The large bay windows that lead to the balcony overlooked a set of gothic buildings and a large clock tower that made up Ottowa's Parliament Hill. It was a breathtaking romantic scene, topped off with a detailed bedspread woven together with gold trim that created intricate floral patterns underneath a black lace comforter.

The red petals that led the way to the bed screamed to be noticed, like a neon blinking arrow that pointed to what was supposed to be the final destination. The whole thing was overwhelming, and led me to blurt out for the second time... "There's no couch."

I took a step into the room but stopped when Aiden placed his hand on my shoulder. "Let me do a sweep first."

"You really think the stalker came all the way to Canada and broke into a room that wasn't assigned until we got here?"

Aiden ran his fingers through his hair, looking flustered. "Humor me Summers. It's my job."

I nodded, and watched Aiden walk further into the room. He moved with quiet grace, checking ever corner for potential threats. The afternoon sun cast him in golden light, covering him in a glittering sheen that highlighted every curve. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until he turned to look back at me, his face in shadow, against the light.

"All clear."

The air between us was awkward, and full of unspoken, questions. Unable to form words, I nodded again. Aiden walked towards me, suddenly impossibly close. Leaning down slowly, he brought his face close to mine. My breath hitched in surprise. "It's safe."

The smell that could only belong to him wafted around me, filling my head with a dizzy giddiness. Warmth wrapping around me in an intoxicating fashion. My brain kicked into overdrive. Is he going to kiss me? Why is he so close? Oh my gosh, he smells amazing.

Aiden leaned closer, one arm brushing past my flannel shirt, sending my pulse to a life threatening speed. Then, leaning back, he walks back into the room, with my purse, bringing reality back with blaring clarity. Earth to Laliana. Keep it together girl. He was just reaching for my bag.

Placing it back down, he turned back. "You okay?"

"Hmm?" I cleared my throat and tried to not look like I was dying from being overheated. "What?"

"You look a little warm." Try on fire buddy.

Aiden poured me a glass of water. "Here. Lots of travel can leave you dehydrated."

I continued to stand near the front door, glued to the only safe spot in the room. I took a deep gulp from the glass when suddenly, a loud banging came from the door. Startled, I jumped and spilled water all down the front of my shirt. Great... Just great...

I moved to answer the front door, but Aiden was suddenly in front of it in a flash, blocking me from view in a protective fashion. "I'll see who it is."

"Open the door LOVE BIRDS! I have your bags! And I have no key!" Tate shouted.

Aiden threw the door open, and Tate clambered inside, huffing from the effort of carrying all of our luggage. "I swear, if...." He saw the room. "Holy crap. Did cupid throw up in here?!?"

Then he saw me. "What happened to you?"

"I spilled water on myself."

Tate snorted. "Sounds about right." Dropping all of the luggage on the luggage tray further in the room, he turned to look at us. "So... I take it you two are sharing a room?"