Chapter 24

It was six am and I was awake. There was not a reason good enough in this world for me to be awake at six am, yet there I was, awake and hosting a meeting in my living room at six am. Sanders sat in my plush chair, staring down at a folder of information, completely awake. Always the morning owl.

Aiden sat on the love seat, still wearing the same clothes as the night before. That outfit would forever be "Aiden's fake date with Laliana outfit." His suit jacket was laid out on the back of the chair, shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, his tie gone, the top button of his shirt unbuttoned, giving him a business casual look.

The whole thing betrayed my determination to not glance in his direction. I knew better than to humor the part of my brain that believed in stupid things, yet I couldn't quite help but glance ever so often in his direction. And to some, he looked put together and well-rested, but I knew better. It was the look of a man whose sleeping schedule was sporadic at best.

We'd barely spoken since he brought me home the night before. The silence that normally filled the space between us had transformed into a confusing, awkward ball of weird filled with unspoken questions. Then he left me at my front door without a word.

I was thankful he didn't stay. But that didn't mean he didn't watch my apartment complex to make sure I was safe. I just didn't have to be a part of the awkward silence that was involved with that job.

Standing in the kitchen, I watched the coffee brew in an attempt to avoid Aiden for as long as possible. After pouring myself an unusually large cup, adding more creamer than coffee, I brought Aiden a cup of tea and Sanders the rest of the coffee.

"Sit," Sanders said, motioning to the spot next to Aiden.

"I'll stand," I muttered, staring down into my coffee. I wanted to keep space between myself and Aiden.

Sanders raised a brow. "The last time we spoke, you fainted. Just humor me please."

Relenting I shuffled over and sat down next to Aiden on the love seat. So much for space.

Sanders closed the folder she had been glancing at and looked at me with a serious expression. "How was your date with Decklan?"

I sunk deeper into my "people are coming over at an unholy hour hoodie," too tired and flustered to offer a coherent response. Instead, I took a deep gulp of coffee taking comfort in the warmth that sank down my throat and hit my belly.

"He didn't show," Aiden replied after a beat. "It seems that Carter and Decklan made plans together that night."

I continued to stare at my coffee, pretending to be fascinated as the creamer swirled around, erasing all evidence that there was ever coffee inside my mug. My dating record consisted of two fake dates, one ending terribly and one no-show. I'm a freaking heartbreaker in the romance department. Look on my dating history, ye mighty and despair!

I shrugged, trying to look unphased. "Decklan was a no-show."

Sanders brows furrowed, her dark eyes taking on a flash of protective momma bear anger. "Are. You. Serious." I nodded. Sanders ran her fingers through her hair. "Well, that certainly explains this morning's tabloids."

Pulling several magazines out of her folder, she dropped them on the coffee table before us. Aiden and I sat motionless, staring down at the tabloids. Neither one of us dared to pick them up. Sanders continued. "It would seem you at that restaurant last night were worthy of taking up several pages of several different tabloids."

I put down my mug and tugged on a strand of my hair, nervous. "How bad is it?"

Sanders motioned to the contents on the coffee table. "See for yourself."