Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"She must be getting pretty stressed out with the office work and all the things that are going on with her."

"You are right. Even last week she seemed so agitated."

"Should we hire bodyguard for her, considering yesterdays incident?"

What are they talking about? Did they know what was going on in my life? Did they already know that he is back? No. That could not be possible, right?

Gradually opening my eyes, I shifted slightly, prompting an immediate halt to their ceaseless banter. In the serene room, surrounded by concerned faces, I slowly regained consciousness, breaking the continuous chatter that had been buzzing around me for seven seemingly endless minutes.

My mumma occupied the space to my left, while Anjali Aunty sat on my right. Pihu and The Paris Girl perched at the foot of the king-size bed, while the men settled on the nearby couch, except for him– standing resolute, his stoic countenance fixed on me.

He, with his characteristic cold gaze, stood across from me, his presence commanding attention. His piercing black eyes bored into me, and I nervously chewed on my lower lip, succumbing to his intimidating aura. He always manages to intimate me.

Gosh! Why does he have to be so handsome? His broad shoulders and those strong muscles he hid under his expensive black suit; the way he carries himself with a grace and power that demanded respect and screamed 'Don't fuck with me', always urge me to cower in the corner.

He hadn't said a single word in those seven minutes. I wondered what was going on in his mind. As I sat up and leaned back against the headboard, mumma adjusted pillows behind me.

"How are you feeling now?" Mumma asked anxious.

"Do you have a headache?" Anjali aunty asked me worriedly, taking my hands in hers and squeezing them a little.

"Do you need anything? Water?" The Paris girl asked.

"I'll bring you orange juice." This time it was Pihu and she hurriedly walked out of the room.

"Ladies. Let her breathe, you all gonna increase her headache more." Papa intervened, urging ladies to give me space.

"I am fine. I just have a slight headache but it will go away soon." I murmured, massaging my head; assuring them of my well being.

"About the marriage-" I attempted to steer the conversation toward the looming topic of marriage. However, Mumma's stern gaze halted me; same as she used to give me when I was kid and need to obey her silently after that look of hers.

"Not the right time, Ruhi. We will discuss it later."

"No mumma. I wanted to clear things up, right now. I don't want you all to get your hopes up and then have them dashed." I pressed on.

The room fell into heavy silence. Everyone's eyes were on me. He narrowed his eyes and those black shades got even darker, if that's even possible. I knew what I wanted in my life. I am an independent woman. I couldn't let anyone control my life or make decisions for me.

I heard somewhere that if we don't take the steering wheel of our lives into our own hands, then someone else will be in the driver's seat.

Letting out a breathy sigh, I tried to compose myself and not stutter to let him know that those glares of his and the mighty aura he emitted wherever he went had no effect on me. "I don't want to get married now and certainly not to him," I stated as calmly as I could.

The room grew tense. He, on the other hand, had an unreadable expression on his face. A muscle in his chiselled jaw twitched, and he stormed out, amplifying the gravity of the situation.

"Look, Ruhi. This is for your own good. Siddharth is a good guy. He will keep you happy and safe for the rest of your life." Mumma assured me, taking my hands in hers.

"It's all right, Vii. If she doesn't want this marriage right now, then it's totally fine. She is a grown-up woman; I can understand where she is coming from." Aunty said, giving a comforting smile.

,"You should rest more. Don't stress out yourself much." With that aunty went out of the room, I guess to find her son who had just stormed out of here.

"Think it over, Ruhi. He is a good man. Let's go, Manasvi. She needs to rest." My heart clenched as Papa spoke in a downcast and sad voice. I can tell he is not happy with my decision. They all went out of the room except The Paris girl. I looked down in guilt.

Pihu came into the room and handed me a glass of fresh orange juice. They both sat down next to me.

"What do you call a sad rabbit?" The Paris girl broke the silence. I looked at her in confusion.

"Unhoppy." and she started laughing loudly.

Is she crazy? Me and Pihu chuckled lightly at her attempt to lighten this sickly thick air a bit.

"So don't be unhoppy and smile a little. This all will be over soon." She smiled at me a little.

"Umm... I know we just met today but please think about this marriage. I know Sid Dada is a jerk or the 'assholest person', but trust me when I say, he is the sweetest person in the whole world. He just doesn't know how to express his feelings. He cares about you so much, believe me." She continued, urging me to reconsider, shedding light on the complexities of his character.

"No. Paris g... I mean Divya. It's not about your brother. It's just that I don't want to get married so soon."

"It's up to you Ruhi, but I also think you should say yes to this marriage," Pihu said and nodded toward Divya as they both stood up and left, leaving me to ponder the uncertain path ahead.

___________

⭐A/N⭐

Hey dear readers,
Tell me what do you think about the first chapter?

Curious?
Confuse?
Interesting?

Just have some patience. Their story is much more than you think it is.

Abhi to bas shuruwat hai... Kahani abhi baki hai mere dost!😁

Just a quick question... When should I schedule the weekly update? Name the day in the comment section.

Vote • Comment • Follow • Share

Instagram: @_lavender_79