In Your Dreams

Chapter 2; In Your Dreams

My eyelids were half closed from staying up so late last night as I greeted a customer. “What can I get you?”

“I think I’ll just have a vanilla soy latté. Grandee please.” said an older lady with random sliver strands in her black hair. She didn’t look that old. It looked like she was at the oldest forty years old.

“That’ll be $5.25 after tax.” After we exchanged money, I made her, her coffee and sat down on the bar stool behind the cash register. I need too pee, but I cant go until Heather gets here to take over my shift. I hate being here by myself. More than that, I hate my job. The only reason why I have it is because my parents said that if I didn’t have a job while I was living in the house, they would come back home and treat me like I was in high school again. That was something I did not want to happen. I like the freedom of being on my own. 

I looked around the café and saw that there were only a few regular people sitting down enjoying their drinks. My eyes kept glancing at the clock. Two minutes to go and I can use the bathroom and get out of here. I looked around the café to see if everybody was settled and doing their own thing, before I got off the stool and power walked towards the bathroom. I cant wait any longer. If I wasn’t running behind this morning, I would have been able to do everything, instead my hair is tossed in a messy bun, I threw on the clothes that I wore yesterday because they were easiest to get to and I have on two different shoes. I didn’t even get the chance to shower. I feel gross.

“Where were you?” Heather asked me when I went back in the front end of the café.

“I had to use the bathroom and I couldn’t hold it anymore. Why? Was someone waiting to order?”

“No. I was just wondering. I came in and nobody was up front.” Heather flicked her hand and said,

“You’re free to go. I looked at the schedule and you don’t have to be back until Monday.”

“Oh, alright. I’ll see you then.” I said, trying to hold back my smile and went outside in the cool fresh air. I looked up at the sky and saw that it was already turning pink.

‘I’ve played the field, the game, the park, the arcade, I use the style and pick up lines of every cliché just to find someone like you, just to find-’ “Hey Andy what’s up?” I answered my phone as I got in my car.

“I was just wondering when you were going to get here. I want to ask you something.”

“Oh, well…I’m on my way home right now. I’ll be there in probably twenty minutes.” I pulled my keys out of my purse and put them in the ignition starting the car and turning the heat up and the volume down.

“I’ll see you when you get here then.” Andy said before he hung up the phone.

Once the way was clear, I pulled out on the road and made my way to see what Andy wanted.

“Come on you stupid red light.” I grumbled to myself.

I got that same feeling when I was standing outside my bedroom door last night. I looked around and saw a group of guys, waiting to cross the street, my heart nearly stopped in my chest when I saw one of them push another into the line of oncoming cars. The vehicle missed him by only inches. I felt a flash of anger when everyone started laughing. I almost got out of my car and marched over there when a guy with dark clothing and longish black hair that made his pale skin stand out even more shared a long glance, I felt myself shutter when I heard someone honk their horn behind me. I looked up and saw that it was a green light. I spared one last glance at the group of guys before I started driving. It felt like I knew him somehow, but I couldn’t pin point how. Maybe at work? School? I don’t know.

Once I started driving down the dirt road to my house, it felt like someone was watching me again. I’m getting really tired of this feeling. Whoever this is needs to get a job or something. I pulled in the garage and pushed the button so it shut behind me. I want to get in the shower.

“Hey. Took you long enough to get back.” Andy grabbed my arm and dragged me up to his room.

“What do you want?” I asked as I plopped down on his bed.

“I don’t really want to get Holly or Bridget’s point of view, but I need yours. Tomorrow there is a bonfire and I want you to help me look for a hot guy. I don’t think I want a relationship, but I haven’t gotten lai-”

“Ok.” I cut him off. “I don’t need to hear the rest of that sentence.” I stood up and went towards the door and said, “Yeah, I’ll help you. Now if you’ll excuse me. I look like shit and I want to get in the shower.”

“Don’t let me stop you. You do look horrible.”

I heard Andy chuckling to himself as I shut his bedroom door behind me and walked down the hall to my room. A violent shiver ran down my spine when I opened my bedroom door and saw that my french doors were open. Didn’t I lock the doors last night? I pushed them shut and turned the lock. I took a few steps away and shook the doors just for good measure.

I went in my bathroom and took the most relaxing shower that I’ve ever had in my life and scrubbed off yesterday’s and today’s dirt. Once I was to my satisfaction, I reached my hand out for my towel when I shut off the water and wrapped it around me before I stepped out into the rest of the foggy bathroom. I felt goosebumps rise on my skin when I saw four simple words written on the window.

‘Your heart is mine’ That’s the same thing the person said to me in my dream the other day when I fell asleep during class.

I don’t know how to feel about this. Some stalker was in my bathroom while I was taking a shower. It could have been Holly, Bridget or Andy. No. It couldn’t be. I never told them about my reoccurring dreams. They felt too private. I didn’t want to share those dreams with anyone. I wiped away the writing and opened the bathroom door, a flow of fog following me. I dried off and tossed my towel in the hamper that I keep in the bathroom. When I came back out there was a simple red rose sitting on top of my pillow.

I slowly walked over to my bed and picked up the rose. I could resist, but to lift it up to my face and smell its aroma. knock knock I jumped when someone knocked on my door. I flung open my nightstand drawer and put the rose in there. “Come in.” I sat down on my bed when Bridget walked in.

“Are you getting ready for bed? Come on! Its only six o’clock.”

“It feels later than six. I’m exhausted. I didn’t get much sleep last night so I want to catch up on that before I go to some bonfire with Andy tomorrow.”

“What bonfire?” Bridget asked, suddenly much more interested.

“I don’t know. Ask Andy about it.” I said when I walked over to my fireplace and started working on making a blazing fire.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Bridget said as she left my room, closing the door behind her.

Once I was satisfied with the fire, I went back over to my bed and got under the covers. I shut off my bedside lamp and enjoyed the sound of the fire crackling, lulling me to sleep.

As I turned back around the moon outlined his silhouette as the fog rolled around him. As the words bounced off the trees, I heard in a whispering voice, “your heart is mine.”

“What does that mean?!” I yelled as he started getting further away from me. “Wait!” I don’t know why, but I started running after him. I needed him to answer me. I was shocked when I saw him stop and I was able to reach out and touch him. “Why aren’t you answering me.”

With his back still towards me, he simply replied, “I don’t think you’re ready to find out.”

“What’s your name?”

“I’ll tell you when we meet.” he simply replied.

I reached my hand out slowly so I could turn him around. I jumped back when he was suddenly a few trees away. I don’t know how he moved so fast, but surprisingly it didn’t scare me. If anything I was more curious about who this person was and why I felt so comfortable around him. “I want to see what you look like.”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”