Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Two years ago...
Mira's POV

He ran and ran.

"Stop!"

Why won't he stop?!

"Please stop!"

Then, all darkness collapsed right in front of him. Fear swelled within me, as if it was a thing trying to devour on my very senses.

My eyes snapped open as I shot out of my bed.

Stupid nightmares.

Gasping for air, I leaned against my bed frame and tried to get up.

Which was difficult considering my broken ankle.

My heart rate calmed down a little and my lungs started functioning again when I wondered.

"Who was that boy?"

Ever since I was a little girl, I had vivid nightmares. I still remembered the first one I ever had almost twelve years ago when I was only turning six.

My father would send me to physicist and therapist. We kept transferring place to place because he believed maybe it was the environment.

I lied to him at the age of fifteen saying that I hadn't had nightmares for weeks ever since we moved to Maine.

Running my hand through my hair, I rubbed my bandaged ankle slowly. It was a bit sore but not as bad as a few days ago.

Sighing, my ears perked up a little at the hushed sound of my father's voice.

"No! Certainly not! If you dare even consider that opportunity, I swear it will be the last of us you'll ever see!"

"Please Mr.Helena, just two weeks is all we're asking-"

"Don't you let that thing of your kind anywhere near my daughter!"

I pressed my ear against the wall behind me after shuffling in the bed.

Thing? Kind? Me? What is going on?

"We understand your concern but if this problem isn't sorted out, it might just mean the end of both our-"

"I don't care about your kind!"

"Then, do you care about yours?!"

A rough, low voice burst loudly starling me a bit because all the voices that have sounded were all whispers and female, besides my father's.

Curiosity fried my brain. Questions and more questions replaced the overflowing of fear I had a few moments ago.

What were they talking about?

"I will not sacrifice my only child, my only family, to save your destiny or to put an end to the CoBraT as you believe they can. Her nightmares alone are bad enough. Leave."

My father's voice was surprised calm and final.

A tingling feeling sparked in me.

Something was wrong.

Very, very wrong.

Terrible.

I've always remembered my nightmares.

But now I-

Don't.

Meanwhile in the alternative realm...

Narration:

"With all that fire, Zack, I thought you would actually put up a least a simple fight. Guess life is truly full of disappointment."