"Isn't it funny how having one of those things around your neck makes you into nothing, someone with no authority over me or anyone else whatsoever? It makes a big difference, doesn't it? With that collar around your neck you're nothing and no one will listen to you. Not that you were much of anything before."

"That is my key, give it to me."

"If you want this key you'll have to buy it, just like everyone else."

"Fine" the merchant grabs a bag of gold and hands it to me "There, now give it to me."

"This doesn't look like twenty thousand gold" I frown and when I look inside it and count it there is only a thousand in it.

The merchant gave me a cocky smile.

"That is the going rate."

"But you just said that everyone knows that the cost of freedom is twenty thousand gold. So either give me that amount or prepare to be a real slave."

The merchant's cocky smile vanished.

"I-I don't have it."

My eyes go over to a table filled with bags of gold just like the one he gave me.

"Is that so? Well then come along slave you'll be sold to whoever can pay your twenty thousand gold debt."

"Wait, just take it."

"Take what?" I ask.

"My gold is over there, take it all and let me go."

"Oh that gold isn't yours. You see I own you now and everything you had before that collar was put around your neck, is now mine. This means you tried to pay me off with my own gold, you have nothing."

"That is not how it works."

"That's not what I was always told. I was always told I wasn't allowed to own anything for any reason and that anything and everything I had belonged to my master or mistress."

The merchant seems to be at a loss for words as I repeat all the things I was ever told by my masters and merchants over the last ten years. Not that I had anything to take.

"We still need someone to battle a beast," said one of the guards.

I glance at him. It looks like he thinks this situation is funny. This merchant must be good with words when it comes to other people but those same tactics won't work on me. I was a slave and I was treated far worse than this I wasn't allowed to have anything if I did my master would take it and say that since they owned me they own what I have.

"You can try to change the rules to suit you all you like. But in truth you are nothing. Not as a slave and not as a merchant."

The guards open the door to the cells.

"What is this?" asked the merchant.

"The Prince's orders, you are to replace this young lady in the battle of the beast."

"What this is absurd" The merchant tried to back away but the guards grabbed him and drug him inside.

"Do not worry this was always his fate. But that gold now belongs to you."

"I was only trying to make a point."

"Those are The Prince's orders" The guard placed all of the gold into a large bag and offered it to me.

I'm not sure I can carry that amount of gold all by myself. I am far too weak right now. The guard seems to understand and leads the way out of the arena. Once outside he hands the gold to the Prince and returns to his post inside. The Prince is tall, very well built, his skin is a light cinnamon color and his short hair is black. He's wearing fine silk.

"Your highness your father is insisting that you return at once."

"Tell him I have no interest in watching the same race that takes place every year."

"Yes sir."

The servant left right away. The Dragos Empire was color coded. Slaves wear brown, servants wear white or orange depending on their rank. Low level concubines wear pink, middle level concubines wear green, high level wear red, wives wear blue. The royal family wears purple or gold, but most tend to wear what they want. As long as it has the royal colors on it people know who they are. It's stupid to me wearing certain colors so people can decide if you're worth talking to. I prefer the look of icy blue and I would rather be wearing that. It's one of the official colors of Wintervale. Black and white are the other colors. Silver is also good as well.

"Follow me," said the prince.

I'm not sure if I want to but he did just free me from slavery so maybe I should hear him out. Against my better judgment I follow him. I'm not sure which Prince he is. I know the oldest is the King's Heir. He was named so a few years ago. I can't remember which of the two thrones were empty when I looked up at The Royal Family. But the family is so large I doubt I would guess right anyway.

The Prince leads me through the streets of the Capital City away from the Dragos Imperial Palace. I thought all of the members of the royal family lived at the Palace. But I'm not entirely sure. I don't know all that much about them. I do know that most people are completely terrified of them and it's not just because of their dragons either.

Some of the members of the Royal Family treat their servants horribly and will have them beaten or killed for no reason. They all think of themselves as untouchable gods. In my mind they are nothing of the kind. I was raised to not be afraid of anything and to fight when it's necessary but always look to the Sacred Animals and Gods because they will protect me when or if I cannot protect myself.

Author's note: This Chapter used to be called A Dragos Prince.

Sorry this chapter is late I was very busy yesterday, Thank you all for reading Dragon Kiss. I hope you are all enjoying this story as much as I am.