2.9: SIPHONER

The newborns were incredibly easy to take care of. There were around 75 of them all paralyzed with their senses deprived as the five of them went around ripping heads off. A tedious task if you asked Vera. Soon, they were nothing but a pile of burned ash and the five of them were on the jet again.

Vera had devised a plan. Since they were already going to be in Washington she would try to convince Jane to allow her to remain for about a week under the guise that she was making sure Bella would be turned. It made sense since she had a relationship with the Cullens and they had invited her to the wedding ceremony.

"God I hate Americans." Demetri grumbled as a women in a white sedan held her horn in response to him cutting her off. "None of them know how to drive properly."

"You're going 100 over the limit a cop is going to pull us over." Vera said leaning back and crossing her arms

"I'll kill them." Demetri deadpanned

"We don't need human police officers after us." Jane said rolling her eyes "Vera will talk us out of anything."

"Human police officers would never be able to find us anyways." Alec said annoyed with the stupidity flying around in the car. Did they forget they were vampires?

"It would still be better if our faces weren't on wanted posters." Jane said

"How much further till we get to Pasco?" Vera asked not wanting to be cooped up in the SUV with the four other vampires any longer.

"Map says 45 minutes so we'll be there in less than 20." Demetri said

"Where are we going once we get there?" Vera asked

"An apartment on 66th avenue, i'll just go based off of scent from there." Demetri replied

After another 20 minutes of bickering between the five of them they reached 66th avenue. The problem was there were two apartment complexes on this street within a one mile radius. Demetri had said Augustine's mate's scent was coming from both ways .

So that's how they ended up separated. Demetri and Alec went to the slightly more worn down complex while Felix, Vera, and Jane went to the more luxurious complex.

While Vera thought the mate would choose a less conspicuous place, he was actually in the complex she, Jane, and Felix had taken, waiting for them. They entered the luxury suite on the fifteenth floor to hear a vampire growling at them.

"You." He sneered

"Benedict." Jane said a smile creeping onto her face

"You know him?" Vera asked Jane

"I turned him." Jane said

"Then you left me." Benedict snarled

"You were an interrupted meal and Aro didn't see potential. There wasn't much for me to do." Jane said, monotone as ever

"Aro didn't see potential." He said laughing maniacally "Let me show you what I can do, witch twin."

A moment passed and nothing happened.

"Maybe Aro was right." Vera said unamused

"He wasn't. Try to incapacitate me." Benedict said provocatively towards Jane, who glared at him obviously trying to get him into a fit of pain.

"What did you do?" Jane asked fear present in her voice

"I took away your power." Benedict smiled darkly "It's mine now."

And just like that Jane was on the floor screaming. For a lot of people that would be a victory; Jane finally tasting her own medicine. However, for the three Volturi guards it was quite frightening. Their most formidable member was utterly powerless.

Felix rushed forward, trying to stop Benedict but was stopped. His back arching and his face contorting in pain. Vera debated shifting, but then she figured the gift would still work in wolf form. Then she considered making Benedict fall in love with her, but he was gay and she wasn't completely sure it would work. Luckily for Vera, Alec and Demetri had heard Jane's screams and came running for them.

They entered the room to find both Jane and Felix on the floor, a wide eyed, unsure Vera and the man they were currently hunting with a frightening smirk.

"Ah, Alec." Benedict said opening his arms "Welcome to the party."

Alec wasted no time greeting Jane's accidental turn and black smoke came creeping out of his hands. However, his paralyzing vapor wasn't fast enough to stop Benedict from using his stolen gift on the other half of the witch twins.

Alec doubled over in unexperienced pain. Jane had never inflicted her gift on him; it was the first time he went through the harrowing experience and he decided it was the worst thing someone could feel. His vapor went right back into his hands for he had lost all sense of concentration.

Demetri rushed forward but before he could get far he too doubled over in pain. The good thing about Jane's gift is that it only works on one person at a time. So Vera,while Benedict was in the middle of concentrating on Demetri, came forward and ripped the stealer's head clean off.

"Holy fuck." Alec groaned

"Now you know what I go through." Felix said, for he was normally Jane's punching bag when she was upset.

Jane stayed silent. Never, had she ever been completely useless in a situation. She had to admit it was the most terrifying feeling, relying on her friends to make sure she didn't die and being completely at the mercy of another. She didn't even want to think about what would've happened if Benedict was smart enough to steal her brother's gift.

"Demetri." Vera said holding out her palm. He placed his silver lighter in her hand and she picked up the head and body. Making her way to the bathtub and dropping him in, she lit him on fire. God help the heart of whatever poor soul had to clean out this apartment.

"Can we get outta here now?" Vera asked as she came out, giving Demetri his lighter back.

"Yeah let's go, I hate this place." Jane said referring to Washington state.

Before the five of them boarded their jet, ready to fly back to Italy. Vera stopped them.

"I'm going to stay here for another week." She said, figuring she would have a better chance at staying if she told Jane instead of asking her.

"For what reason?" Jane asked crossing her arms

"The Cullens are having a wedding ceremony. They want me to be there." Vera said

"You're still in league with the Cullens?" Jane's eyes narrowed

"They're my friends. I will be back to Volterra no later than a week from tomorrow. At the meantime I will make sure Isabella Swan is changed." Vera's voice unwavering. She knew as soon as she wavered-even the slightest bit-Jane would forbid it. She also made sure to use Bella's full name to sound more indifferent and detached.

"I think it's fine, Jane." Alec said, his tone of voice more than a suggestion

"Fine." Jane snapped "Alec, you relay the message to Aro. Vera, no later than a week from tomorrow."

Then the four of them left Vera standing on the landing pad. She breathed out a sigh, that went much better than she had anticipated it would. Calling a cab and getting in she said:

"Take me to the Quillette reservation, right outside La Push."