"Why not?" she simply asked.

"Um... because you're supposed to be higher in the hierarchy than me. I can't... give out orders to you."

"First-off, guys, I'm not going to chew you alive, so loosen up." She looked around to see their faces—no changes. Okay...

"See, I might come off as strict and stringent in the kitchen, I'm not denying it even one bit, I am both of them. I need discipline. And, I'm telling you this too, that I won't keep from telling you off if you mess up, but when everything is going well, we'll sure laugh and have fun too. After all, it's only three months I've got to have y'all like me so much that you'll miss me when I go, right?"

Her trick to lighten up the mood and get them to loosen up to her worked. At the last sentence, some chuckled freely, and at least a smile graced others' faces. Progress!

"So, are we okay here?" Everyone nods. "Great. Now, coming back to you, Xavier. What's wrong?"

"I can't instruct you what to do. That's not right."

"Okay, how about this. As the head chef, I am instructing you to order me around, does that work?"

"Why do you want me to tell you what to do?"

"Because, unlike you guys, I'm not permanent here. I can't afford to take my own sweet time getting to know how this kitchen works. I need to be quick. And, for the I need to know how you all worked when I wasn't here, so that I can blend in easier. Get it? I understand it's weird, but please go it to make things easier for me and your employer. The gala is for him, and I'm here for that. If things get hard for me, it will indirectly mess with the gala."

"Okay," he agrees firmly.

"That's like it!" she pats his shoulder. "Giovanni, get back to work. Xavier, I'll need you for a minute. I want to see the restaurant—Le Saveurs, correct?—its layout, so I know what we're in for on a regular day."

"Sure, I'll show you around. Come on."

"Lead the way," she held out a hand.

He guided her to the restaurant at Magna, Le Saveurs, which meant The Flavors in French, according to what Xavier told her. She learned that he'd been working here since he finished culinary school, he was the oldest. Then Delilah and Joseph came along, followed by Giovanni, Lily and Chase, and Laser—spelled with a s instead of a z—was fairly new.

"Savannah, this is the restaurant. There," he pointed to a string of long black marble tables set adjoining to one another, "we set up the buffet for every meal. For lunch and dinner it's a six-course meal, and breakfasts are full-course. Then, we have the à la carte—"

"Sorry, I have to get this," Savannah said, referring to her ringing phone, excusing herself.

"Boss!"

It was none other than the only tardy human she favored, Abbey Fury. Kindly note the sarcasm, everyone.

"Where are you Abbey? It's ten-thirty."

"Really sorry. I may or may not have overslept a little and then the room Mr. Sifton gave me had a jacuzzi—I just couldn't turn away from such a wonderful sight. And, oh, the pleasure the hot streams of water got me, Sav, just amazing—"

"Abbey. Can we talk about this later?"

"Sure. Where are you, by the way? I am in their lobby, tell me where to come I'll be there."

"I'm at their restaurant. Here, now, Abbey!"

"Yes, boss!"

Abbey was one lax of a human being. Incredibly leisurely, smugly so. Savannah would never know what had caused her to hire Abbey as her assistant considering their stark opposite personalities. Abbey was tardy, Savannah was highly punctual—ahead of time, one could say. Abbey took clumsiness to a whole new level, while Savannah was... well, well-coordinated. Abbey was—never mind, thinking about it for umpteen times wouldn't change anything.