The Outing

I was out with Quentin and Tara all morning. We were shopping for clothes that would fit me though I didn't really care about all that. As we walked we talked about the academy.

"How many kids are in the academy?"

"There are eight including Tara and I, as well as you and a new girl who just came in this week," Q answered.

I had decided to ask a question that had been on my mind for a while, "What if we decide not to join the academy," I ventured?

Then Tara and Quentin gave each other a look that chilled me to the bone. Though Tara said in a kind voice, "Then Dr. Hatch will allow you to return home as long as you never mention your powers or what happened here."

I nodded, naively believing the lie, "that makes sense I guess, why can't we say anything about this place?"

Tara shrugged, "Security reasons, though I highly doubt you won't want to stay."

I pretended I didn't hear the secret message and just smiled.

Suddenly Quentin looked at his watch, "oh no look at the time, we're going to be late!"

"Late to what?"

They smiled at me, "it's a surprise," he said.

Together they practically dragged me though all the stores and areas before we came to a fancy restaurant. There was a long line of people out the door and I almost thought we had the wrong place before the started walking inside. We came up to the lady in the front and she asked for our reservation and all Quentin said was that we were from Elgen Academy.

I thought we were going to be thrown out for being rude, but to my surprise she nearly jumped out of their skin trying to help us. I looked at Q and Tara in shock, but they just smirked back at me.

"Don't worry Tanner, you'll get used to it," Tara said confidently.

I almost made a comment about the fact that I won't be here that long, but the drinks came out causing me to close my mouth. A young woman by the name of Clarissa gave the three of us wanted and placed an extra one on the table. After that she asked us what we wanted to eat.

"I will have crab with a side of potato fries," Q stated.

"Tuna fish for me," Tara said, "Tanner?"

"W-well I uh," I stuttered searching through the menu rapidly. All the food looked so much more formal than simple pizza Friday's.

"Why don't you get the shrimp," Quentin suggested,

I nodded and mumbled a small thank you and had an embarrassed smile on my face. I didn't even notice the others didn't thank Clarissa. After she left I finally turned my attention to the extra water.

"Who's joining us?" I ask. "What what we're we going to be late to?"

"Told you it's a surprise!" They both said.

"Can't you give me a hint" I exclaimed.

They didn't have a chance to respond. At that moment a voice let out a hearty laugh behind us. We whirled around and I recognized the man in a crisp suit walking toward us.

"Dr. Hatch!" Tara exclaims. "Hello sir" Q says cheerfully. "Hello" I mumble. I am still not sure of what to make of the mysterious doctor. He seemed nice enough, but he was also the person who kidnapped me and did who knows what with my family and friends.

"Hello children. No need to be nervous Tanner" He had obviously noticed how I inches away from him. I blushed a little before forcing a small smile on my face.