Contest Entree: -CheddarChicken-

Hello kitties! I'd just like to remind you that you can only vote for one entry in a contest. So whichever story you like best, give it a vote! Then we'll know which one was your favorite, and will rank the contests accordingly.

Thanks for your cooperation!

~Blazestorm

Theme: Write Flametail's Death scene in Flametail's POV

The ice cracked and groaned beneath Flametail's paws. You've got to be kidding me... He glanced wildly around for help while the other cats slid happily around in the frozen lake. Water started to seep up from the rigid cracks, and Flametail flinched as the icy water touched his ginger paws. Then. For one second, Flametail saw the whole world stop before his eyes. The other cats played in slow motion, while the ice slowly gave away. Then he was back in the present, and suddenly fell into the waters of the lake.

    Flametail's lungs ached for air. He searched around for any cat coming to help, but saw no one. The medicine cat tried to propel himself to the surface, but the icy grip of the water slowed him down. He then floated there helplessly, and didn't notice the gray tabby making its way toward him. Flametail looked up and saw the familiar blind blue eyes of Jayfeather. Then another cat appeared behind him. The cat was pink and bald, and his gray eyes were expressionless. The seemed to talk to Jayfeather, and the tabby turned with worry. Rescue me already!Flametail thought with frustration. Jayfeather frowned and dipped his head to the pink cat, and then stared at Flametail. Flametail's vision began to grow hazy, then to as sharp as a hawk. Flametail stared in surprise as he saw himself, now drifting lifelessly. "I'm... dead." he whispered to himself.

"Indeed you are. Not to be rude." Flametail turned to see a starry ginger she-cat. "Russetfur?" he breathed with awe. The she-cat dipped her head, "Yes," Russetfur then glanced around, then continued, "Come on, I'll take you to Starclan." The she-cat turned to go when Flametail mewed, "But I don't want to be dead! I just can't... What about Dawnpelt and Tigerheart?" Russetfur sighed, her eyes full of nothing but sympathy. "Your brother and sister will be fine. I promise." she assured him. Flametail nodded and mewed, "Okay, I'll follow you..." He then followed Russetfur to the clan in the stars, a place where he was sure he didn't want to be.

    Flametail stared down at the lake. Nothing had been fine like Russetfur had said. His sister, Dawnpelt had grown mad with grief, blaming Thunderclan's medicine cat, Jayfeather for his death. The foxheart let me die. Flametail thought as he unsheathed his claws. He then sensed something coming towards him, and turned. A brown tabby stood before him. The tabby smiled, "Would you like to walk with me?" Flametail stared, the cat's eyes weren't full of any comforting emotion. In fact, no emotion at all showed in his eyes. Flametail nodded slowly, and followed the tabby as he started to walk away.

    They walked into a darker, more overgrown part of Starclan territory. Where are we? The tabby paused and turned to Flametail. "Wait here." he mewed. The tabby then padded away, disappearing into the undergrowth. Flametail waited for what seemed like ten moons. He then grew tired of waiting slipped though the undergrowth where the tabby had disappeared. He then heard voices. "Hello Ivypaw." the tabby's voice mewed. The cat who was Ivypaw replied, "It's a... pleasure to be here tonight, Brokenstar." Flametail frowned, Brokenstar? I've never heard of him... Flametail then broke though the undergrowth to see three cats in front of him. One was Brokenstar, the second Ivypaw, and the third was-- Tigerheart! Flametail thought. But his brother's weren't happy, they were full of horror. What's wrong? Flametail thought with confusion. He then turned to see Brokenstar give a small nod. Ivypaw then lunged for Flametail, claws unsheathed.

    Flametail had no time to react, and surprised when nothing had hit him. Tigerheart had stopped Ivypaw from reaching him. "You will not kill my brother!" he hissed with rage. A brown cat with black stripes cat appeared beside them, "Do not worry Ivypaw, he is no threat." Brokenstar padded up to them, "Then how will she prove herself?" Brokenstar mewed, edged with fury. The brown cat turned to Brokenstar, "She will fight with us when the battle comes." Flametail's pelt bristled with fear, and he then bolted away, from wherever he was. He was sure it was not Starclan.