Eight

THE PROCEDURE WAS SIMPLE, to say the least.

It was a small incision below the navel and one under the scrotum and inside the anal canal just above the prostate.  The surgery would last about 2-3 hours with no foreseen complications.  Minimal bleeding but lots of pain after the anesthesia wore off.

A grunt of pain draws the nurse's attention toward the uncomfortable hospital bed I occupy.  She helps me sit up, but the smallest of movements causes my eyes to tear up with the sharp sting of pain.  She says that it's normal.

I spend two days and one night in the small hospital, being released with a clean bill of health afterwards.

"You're a bit underweight for your height and age so beware of dizzy spells from the pills.  Remember to take them with food," the doctor says.

"Okay," I mumble as I watch the older man read over the small bottles of pills and explain each one.

"This one is for the hormone imbalance you'll be facing.  This medication will hopefully allow your body to accept the uterus.  Due to the increase of different hormones, you might experience a bit of bleeding on or about every 28 days."

With a small grimace I nod along and take the first bottle.

"This one will help with the pain, it'll only last for a week which should be enough to help you manage, try to avoid heavy lifting."

I stare at both little bottles rattling in my hold, "is that it?"

"Almost.  These are vitamins," the doctor says with a look.

I look at the slightly larger bottle in his wrinkled hand, "Vitamins?"

"You're underweight, these vitamins will help you gain a little more.  They should also help with any fatigue.  This should last for about a month or two."

When I have everything in my backpack, I stand up slowly, carefully.  I mask a wince when I take the first step toward the doctor to shake his hand.

"Come back in a month to see the progress and how your body is handling the changes.  Hopefully, if your body accepts these changes, within three to six months you should be able to conceive naturally," the doctor smiles as he hands me an envelope with my name on it, "any questions?"

"Uh, um what if... if I don't want to?  I mean... not so soon?" I ask a bit embarrassed.

"Condoms are not always 100% effective, true.  So, I suppose we can prescribe some contraceptive pills with a smaller dosage than what some women would usually take.  You should feel a few minor cramps here or there, but if they get too painful to handle before your next appointment, come in immediately.  It could be your body's way of rejecting the womb."

That terrifies me a bit.  I'm not good at handling pain, I can barely stand the twinges I can feel below my navel and further down south.  But what terrifies me most is the fact that this could go wrong.

I never gave much thought to having children before.

Mostly because I knew I was gay and didn't think I'd ever have the chance to physically carry a baby.

But science is a bit more advance now.

People are a bit more opened minded and are trying to help all couples conceive.

I know I could never raise a baby on my own.  It's hard enough with Miguel.   Regardless of the sleepless nights and dirty nappies, I can't help but look forward to the new little things that little tyke learns every second of every day.

I walk outside the small hospital and rest a hand on my slightly swollen belly.

Just thinking that there's a possibility I could have a baby that's my own, and imagining having a baby that's mine makes my heart flutter and fill with an inexplicable warmth.  It would kill me if this didn't work, because some day, in a very distant future, I wouldn't mind having a baby that was half me and half the person I love (whoever that may be).

But not now.

I'm more than content with the kids I have at home.