Four

GABRIELA TAKES MY HAND back as we approach the car in record time. I make out Alessandra struggling with a wailing baby in her arms.

The black plastic bag falls from my hand and I take the baby in my arms immediately.  Aless busies herself by digging through their belongings until she finds a clean bottle, formula, and water.

She's a godsend as she prepares the baby's milk.

I press the nipple to his trembling lips and he wastes no time to latch on, his crying turning into pitiful sniffles as he curls up in my arms.

I hum softly, watching his teary eyes flutter closed.  Wet lashes clumped together and still glistening.

"Are we leaving already?" Alessandra whispers.

"Yeah, in a minute."

Gabriela climbs into the back seat and Alessandra shoves the bags into the trunk.

I bite back a yawn and hope my exhaustion goes unnoticed.

It doesn't.

Her brows furrow in concern, but she doesn't say anything. 

I'm almost glad.

I hate to see her worry when she's only ten, there's still so much for her to learn and understand.

She takes her baby brother back and ducks inside the car where Gabriela cuddles next to her.  Two pairs of wide eyes stare back at me.

I can do this.

We can do this.

I close the door gentle and go around to the driver's side.  The heater is on full blast and static from the radio fills the silence.

The drive doesn't drag on like it typically does.

There are occasional sniffles and soft whispering that picks up.

A red light here, a green light there.

Finally, home.

The parking lot is a bumpy ride as we drive through and as put the gear in shift I peer into the rearview mirror and meet Alessandra's gaze.

My stomach turns.

It reminds me of that day, weeks ago, when I met my dad's own gaze.

I shift the gear into park and just... just take a moment to breathe.

"We're here Gabby," I hear Alessandra whisper.

Gabriela stirs from her light sleep and she yawns with a stretch.

With a yawn of my own that I can't hold back; I slip out the car and head toward the back.  The door is open, and I take Miguel from Alessandra's arms.

"Just bring the important stuff," I tell Aless, "I can grab the rest tomorrow."

She nods and grabs ahold of Gabriela's hand.  I look at the pair and can't help but focus on the differences between the two.

Gabriela raises a thin brow expectantly and I return it with a smile of mild amusement.  I brush back one of her crooked pigtails sticking out like Boo.

"Vamos?"

"Let's go," She nods.