Chapter 3

"So, who died?"

"No one is dead," said Damon, though he looked irritated enough for Amelia to assume that someone close to them was in danger of dying. "Silas has Elena."

"Huh? But— but Stefan tossed him off into the quarry months ago."

"Apparently, not." He turned to Caroline. "Blondie, get dressed and go look for her at the bonfire. Little Donovan, you're coming with me to check the areas away from the bonfire."

Amelia quickly set her bag down before leading Damon out the door and to the surrounding area where students were not going to be mingling. They figured that Silas would have either slipped away with Elena, or would be blending into the large crowd.

Damon looked over at the girl beside him, seeing her eyes darting all over and scanning the crowd. "Is it true Elena was dreaming about Stefan?"

"She said they weren't dreams. More like feelings. If something was wrong with him this entire time, that explains it."

The vampire didn't seem convinced. "That doesn't explain anything. Why was she having visions? Why not... me?"

Amelia knew instantly that he was feeling insecure, even if he'd never admit it. "Well, they had an emotional connection that was stronger than a brotherly bond. The supernatural world is still confusing. Maybe that emotional connection jumped out into a weird SOS signal. She likes you and only you. Don't think that she's considering going back to Stefan. It's been over for those two for awhile."

Damon nodded slowly, fiddling with his daylight ring as they continued walking around. They reached the Biological Sciences Building again, and caught sight of Dr. Maxfield heading toward his car. Amelia kept her gaze on him for what was apparently a second too long, because Damon nudged her and wiggled his brows.

"Is Goody Two-Shoes Amy considering sleeping with a Professor?" he teased.

"Oh, shut up, don't call me that just because I care about school more than other people. None of us can be Goody Two-Shoes after hanging out with you. He's just someone we're trying to learn more about because of the dead roommate thing."

"That wouldn't happen to be the weirdo that Elena mentioned... the one who signed off on the death certificate?"

"That's him."

"I knew you liked them psycho, but not that psycho."

"You know nothing about how I like them."

"I know that you like me."

"I tolerate you, there's a difference."

"So you're telling me you'd rather with Matt than with me?"

"Ew, you're both my brothers in my eyes, I don't want to with either of you."

"Suit yourself, I'm great in bed."

Amelia scrunched up her nose. "You know, saying that all the time makes you sound really cocky. Leads me to believe you feign being good when you're not. I'd probably need a magnifying glass to see your little friend."

Damon let out a playful offended huff, and she walked off triumphantly. "That's payback for you saying my tits were small when we first met," she chirped back.

"Your loss," he called back. "You don't know what you're missing."

"And I don't care to find out!" she said, looking over her shoulder before skipping ahead to keep looking for Elena and Silas.

They still hadn't located her, hours later. It was dark now, and Caroline had reconvened with them after Damon and Amelia had split temporarily, leading to Silas confronting the older vampire.