「2」cold Nights.

❝ 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐖𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄 𝐀 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊? ❞

"𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐀𝐓?" damian asked, your stomach grumbled at the thought of fresh food, rubbing circles against your stomach with your hand that wasn't intertwined with damian's.

"no... i don't think so, i'm sorry, i looked through the town and no one offered me food," you pouted, recalling the memories of this morning and your sad attempts to beg for any edible items to eat, side eyes and blunt no's thrown straight at your face, do people have no sympathy?

damian sighed, increasing the grip on your hand, his anger rising and falling, good thing you're such a calming person to be around. tapping his foot, he thought through his mind, trying to find any plan that might help with this dilemma, not to mention the fact the both of you didn't even have a place to sleep for the night.

the barn the both of you used to reside was destroyed by the nobles, all that was left of the place the both of you considered home for a couple years was now just empty land. all the two of you had, were stolen clothes and each other, there was nothing better than that, but some help would make this much more manageable.

he looked to his left then right, seeing the doors closed, windows shut, and a rare amount of lights turned on. the light shinning off the moon just only made the street visible, the cold breeze of the night blowing over the both of you.

top priority, shelter, he felt you tighten your grip on his hand, "damian? i'm... i'm so cold," you shivered, rushing beside him to try and gain some warmth, only to whine under your breath when he had nothing to provide. the thinness of the long sleeve shirts you both were wearing making this weather unbearable.

if only he had something, seeing you wrap your arms around yourself and curl over, eyes filled with tears and begging for some salvation. looking inside the buildings to try and see someone or maybe some hanging clothing.

the clothing you both isn't different from each other, he sometimes sees you gawk at certain outfits in the windows, maybe sometimes stare in awe at the dresses that nobles or even peasants would wear. you have such a starry look in your eyes, hoping and praying for something even slightly like that, something like before.

you're childish and so filled with hope, it hurts seeing such a special girl fall short of her expectations, poor thing.

looking to his left, an empty alley, if someone was there it would mean danger, not like he was worried about himself, he would gladly be beaten till he's black and blue if it meant your safety. but that was the problem, your safety. there are awful men here, those who have been deprived of sexual encounters who would through away their dignity and any form of humanity and would use young girls. he shivered at the thought, being unable to protect you that way, scraps and bruises will heal, but those types of wounds, won't.

he wrapped his arm tightly around your waist, pushing you to the side of his body as he slowly started walking down, his other hand in his pocket, prepared to pull out a razor if anything got dicey.

"i understand, but i have nothing to help with that, please just try to hold on," he sighed, pulling you with him to the wall on his left. a pile of trash that he put his back against, patting his lap to tell you to sit. it wasn't sanitary nor was nice, you hate seeing him put on a smile and welcome you to use him as a chair.

he never lets you sit on the floor, through the rain and the snow, he always lets you have a comfortable sleep. and while yes, you will admit, it is extremely comfortable, even with the older clothing and your unwashed bodies, he smells rather nice, he has such a perfect way to hug you it's warming, but the guilt is suffocating.