A Bag of Cats

Tony's POV

Bruce and I stood staring at the screen of a large monitor in the infirmary, examining the scans form Y/n's MRI.

"Bruce, tell me what you see." This was his territory more than mine. He shook his head as he swiped through screen after screen, examining all the angles the scan had. 

"It doesn't look good. You see this?" He pointed to the darkened edges of her organs on the monitor. "Her organs are...well, they're dying."

I considered the screen and the looked at Y/n, unconscious on the bed in front of us. Her Y/h/c hair was matted to her forehead with sweat. The glow of her purple skin contrasted harshly with her hair. Her closed eyes were sunken in to her head and the angry black veins running across her body looked ominous. "Is whatever is causing her organs to die causing this?" I gestured to her purple skin and the roadmap of veins. 

"I...I don't know Tony." Bruce shook his head sadly. "I'm waiting on a few test results to see if there's anything we can recognize or treat  in her blood but the results won't be ready for several more hours. All I can do right now is try and keep her alive and try to keep her body from deteriorating any more. I think we should keep her in a coma for now. It's safer for her to just rest."

I nodded my head. "Tell JARVIS when you know something. I told Cap I would come talk to him and Barnes after we had examined Y/n." I walked out of the lab and spoke to the room. "JARVIS, have Cap and the Tin Man come to the living room." By the time I had walked down the hall and taken the elevator down to the residential floor, the two super soldiers were sitting in the living room. Both sat around the coffee table. Bucky, in the arm chair and Steve on the end of the sectional. Both were leaned forward, elbows on knees, hands clasped, looking at the ground. At the sound of my footsteps, they both looked up, completely in sync. Weirdos. I looked at them, unsure of what to say. Bucky was the first to speak.

"H-How is she? Were you able to wake her up?" While his face was set but his eyes were pleading. 

I cleared my throat and sat on the corner of the coffee table in front of them. "She's not awake. Bruce and I agreed that the safest thing for her until we know more about what's going on is to keep her asleep. She isn't any worse but..." I took a deep breath. "It's not good. Her organs are quickly deteriorating and Bruce has no idea why." Steve dropped his head back down and heaved a sad sigh. Bucky's eyes watered and he stood quickly and paced towards the hall, wiping his face roughly with his hand. "We're doing everything we can, Bucky." He turned and smiled sadly at me.

"I know you are. You and Bruce are the best she can get. I just don't know what I'll do if the best isn't enough."

He walked down the hall and I heard the door close softly. I looked at Steve. "Do you know where Nat is? I didn't figure Y/n would want Bruce and I getting her cleaned up and changing her clothes."

Natasha's POV

As I finished filling a small basin with warm water and a light smelling soap, Steve brought me a small stack of clothes. A burgundy shirt that looked as old as the man holding it and a pair of dark grey sweats. "You couldn't find her a nicer shirt?" I looked at Steve quizzically and he smiled. 

"It's Bucky's. He said it's Y/n's favorite. I believe it, I've seen her wearing it more than him." I smiled and took the clothes.  I bent and opened a cabinet, pulling out a few washcloths and then from another cabinet, a towel. I set them on the counter and turned around to face Steve. His eyes were fixed on Y/n. I sighed and looked around the small room. It was one of the replica hospital rooms Tony had built in the Tower. It was hard to maintain privacy as an Avenger so he had these rooms fro when any of us needed extended medical care. Y/n lay upon the bed, beaten and bruised and dirty. My heart sank seeing her like this. She was so lively and strong normally. Seeing her helpless in the hospital bed made my throat burn and my eyes water.