A Chaotic and Miserable Existence

Tony's POV

"So you mean to tell me after wreaking havoc on multiple cities and using his mind control on Y/n, we're supposed to just trust him and let him help us?" Steve asked in disbelief. He stood in the large kitchen of the Tower leaning on the counter. 

"He has direct access to Y/n's mind. He can enter her mind and should she still be alive, lead us to her," Thor, the blond god stood across from Steve. I looked around the room and saw the same thing on everyone's face. Anger..but hopeful. 

I rubbed my face in my hand and considered the situation. "And what if he's just scheming to get to Y/n and use her powers against us again? I'll be honest, it's shifty, I don't like it. Why the change of heart Reindeer Games?"

Loki sat on a stool at the island and smiled a half smile. "That woman has more power in her right hand than every man- and woman" he nodded in acknowledgement to Natasha, "has in their whole body. I take a great pride in knowing I unlocked the mutation in her mind and... she is unique. I care for her." 

At that Bucky stood up quickly from his chair, toppling it over and stepping to Loki. He stood nose to nose with the demigod for a moment. Steve and I both bristled, waiting to see what happened next. Just as we thought he would let his metal fist fly into Loki's face, he turned and walked out of the kitchen.

Natasha replaced Bucky at Loki's side and looked him in the eye. "Y/n is my best friend. My family. If you get in my way of helping her, or you cause her anymore pain, I will kill you. God or not, I will end your miserable and chaotic existence." 

Loki's smiled heartily, "I look forward to it Miss Romanoff."

Natasha nodded her head curtly and picked up the wine glass she'd been drinking from. Pouring the last of the bottle into her glass she addressed us, "On that note boys, let's find Y/n and burn HYDRA to the ground."

Steve's POV

We all sat in one of the conference rooms in the Tower. Clint sat at a computer pulling up the decrypted feed on a big screen in the front of the room. Tony sat towards the front of the group with Nat pouring over stacks of files, all data from the sweeps he'd had JARVIS doing since we'd came back from Lithuania. Bucky sat a few seats away from me with a glass I could only assume had whiskey in it. I sighed and shook my head. After years in HYDRA's fog of the Winter Soldier he preferred to not drink, saying he was going to spend his time clear headed so he could control himself. Seeing him with a drink in his hand told me all I needed to know about how bad this was.  He'd been low since he'd woken up but who could blame him. Y/n had been his rock and he her's. 

"Clint, are you still playing Galaga up there or are you about ready? Rock of Ages is looking a little flighty," Tony asked from his seat. Thor and his adopted brother sat away from the group. Thick metal cuffs were fastened on Loki's wrists, a part of the agreement with the group in his offer to help us. 

"Yeah, yeah, let's get this going." He clicked a few buttons and a video pulled up on the screen. "This is the feed from the cell they trapped Bucky and Y/n in." Clint pressed play. On the screen, Bucky is lying on the floor writhing in pain. Y/n runs in suddenly and doubles over gripping her head. I watch as a man in a glass room above the cell reads from a red book, only a black star adorning the cover. As he reads in broken Russian, Bucky realizes what's about to happen and pleads with Y/n to leave, she refuses. Begging him to fight. Suddenly on screen, Bucky's face goes blank and his eyes cloud over. The Winter Soldier was awake. I look to Bucky sitting next to me. His face is hard, jaw set, staring at the screen, unwavering, and impossible to read. Y/n puts her hands up on screen as the Winter Soldier walked towards her. We watch in horror as he begins to throw punches and Y/n dodges. Throwing a few of her own, trying to escape. It isn't until  her throat is being crushed by his metal arm that she screams, "SPUTNIK!" Both the Winter Soldier on the screen and Bucky next to me drop like rag dolls.