Upgrades

Steve's POV

I sat anxiously in the copilot chair of a quinjet. Tony, Nat, Clint, Sam, Banner, Rhodey, Thor, even Loki, and myself were 4 hours out from Wakanda to pick up Bucky and his newly freed mind before beginning our rescue mission to get Y/n back from HYDRA. I looked out the window at the endless water and memories began to float back to me. A different plane, a different time, the same bad guy. It had ended with me putting the craft down in the water and losing my life as I knew it. Would I always be fighting HYDRA? They had caused so many so much hurt, caused so much death and destruction, and now, they had once again hurt someone I cared very deeply for.

"We're going to get her back, Steve." I looked to Nat as she smiled softly at me. "Bucky will be okay and we will get Y/n back and we will all live happily ever after."

I gave her a sad half smile before looking back out the window. "For how long though?"

Nat's POV 

As we touched down in Wakanda, I finished strapping my gear on. We were all anxious to see if Shuri's treatment had worked for Bucky. We stepped off the jet and King T'Challa met us on the tarmac. He shook hands with everyone, welcoming us to Wakanda. 

"Captain Rogers, if you would follow me, I will take you to Sergeant Barnes now. He is excited to see you all." That's a good sign I thought. 

"Steve, you want back up in there?" I gave him a smile but was serious. He hadn't been sleeping, spending his nights training or monitoring the scans looking for energy surges in and around Oslo to find the HYDRA base Y/n was being kept at. He was wearing himself thin worrying about everybody on the team except himself.

"I think the old man can handle it, can't you Cap?" Tony quipped. 

"Actually, Nat, why don't you come along." I nodded my head and followed him and the young king.

We walked into one of the many glorious buildings and down a long hall. T'Challa led us through a set of white shiny doors in to a lab. All kinds of advanced tech littered tables, Shuri's newest inventions I could only imagine. When I was finally able to tear my eyes away from the glittering tables, I looked to where Steve was standing, next to Bucky. He didn't look different per say but... softer. His jaw was relaxed. He stood straighter, as if a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders for the first time in seventy years. His hair was pulled back and tied in a bun at the nape of his neck instead of loose and falling in his face as it normally did. He was wearing a short sleeve short and jeans. That's when I noticed it. His metal arm. 

"Bucky! What happened to your arm?" I exclaimed excitedly.

He grinned and looked at Steve and I, flexing the fingers of the new limb. "You like it? Shuri said the White Wolf would need an upgrade." His old silver arm with the angry red HYDRA star had been replaced by a sleek black arm with gold accents running through it. The arm didn't click or whir when he moved. It was silent. 

"Is it vibranium?" I asked, looking at Shuri. 

She smiled and nodded. "Along with his new arm, all of our diagnostics have showed that my treatment was successful. Sergeant Barnes is just that, the Winter Soldier no longer lives in his mind."

I looked between Steve and Bucky and nodded my head as confidently and turned to leave. "C'mon boys," I called over my shoulder, "let's go get our girl."

Bucky's POV

"Ready your gear, we're 20 minutes out from Oslo." Tony handed out ear pieces as everyone strapped in extra ammunition and checked their weapons. "I took the liberty of putting GPS trackers in everyone's suits. We can't afford another situation like this so sorry folks, but you've all been lojacked." He sat down next to me and cleared his throat. "Y/n's probably kicked back right now, making all the bad guys her bitch, waiting for you to come break her out." He looked at me sternly. "She's going to be okay, she's strong."