“Dr. Desai,” I said as I got closer. “Sorry to interrupt, but I remembered something. Something that affects all of us.”
“Go on, Eva,” she said. They all turned their attention to me, waiting intently.
“There’s a rescue ship coming,” I said. “It’ll be arriving in Sydney in a matter of days. If we leave now we can make it with time to spare.”
The table of weary, overworked doctors and nurses stared at me for a moment before glancing at each other, some even raising their eyebrows in suspicion.
“I think you’re mistaken,” a middle-aged man with greying hair said, holding back a smirk. “No-one would risk coming here, no matter how many people need saving.”
“They’re coming. Soon,” I said, crossing my arms defensively.
“Bruce is right,” a woman said. “No government or military in the world has the resources or manpower to operate such a wide-scale rescue.”
“Eva,” Priya said, looking sheepish. “You’ve been through an ordeal. You have a concussion. You’re not thinking straight.”
“I heard it on the radio myself,” I said, surprised that no-one would believe me. “There was a message from Commander Eric Renner telling any survivors to meet at all capital city ports for rescue. They’ll arrive in Sydney on the 24th.”
“Didn’t she also have a high fever when we brought her in?” one of Priya’s colleagues asked, ignoring me completely. “It could have been a hallucination.”
“Look,” another doctor chimed in as he pushed a pencil behind his ear. “Even if she didn’t imagine all this, we’d never make it to Sydney. Who knows what’s out there.”
“Exactly,” said another. “Sydney is Ground Zero. It was hit the hardest and fastest by the Eversio Virus, there’s no doubt it’ll be completely overrun by now. It’s a wasteland of death and disease.”
“So you’d all rather stay here?” I asked, infuriated. “Trapped within these fences until you die?”
“We have better chances of survival here than outside of those fences,” Bruce said.
“I’m sorry, Eva,” Priya said. “There’s no way we can leave. We could never transport all these people there safely. It’s too much of a risk.”

I didn’t know what to say. A part of me wanted to slam my fist on the table and tell them they were dooming themselves if they stayed, but another part of me completely understood why they didn’t want to leave. I had my own fears about leaving and – unlike them – I knew what was out there, how dangerous it was. But I also knew that I would risk everything for just one chance at freedom.
“Okay,” I said, defeated. “I’ll go alone.”
“You’ll do no such thing!” Bruce scoffed. “Lives were put in danger to bring you here. Precious resources and medicine was used to save your life. We didn’t do all that just to have you run off on a suicide mission.”
“I’m not staying here,” I said firmly. “I truly appreciate what you’ve done for me. I do. But this is our only chance at escape, my only chance to find my friends, I won’t pass it up just because the road ahead is uncertain.”
“Look, I understand that you’ve been through a lot,” he said, his face turning crimson in anger. “And you’re obviously not thinking clearly. You are our responsibility. You’re not going anywhere.”
“You can’t keep me here,” I argued.
“We have armed guards posted at the only civilian exit. They’re under strict orders to not let anyone out without one of us.”
“Perhaps we should let her go,” Priya suggested. “We’re here to save lives, not control them. Besides, we could give her our research. If Eva made it to the rescue ship with everything we’ve discovered, it could help the outside world prevent anything like this ever happening again.”
“I can’t believe you’re buying this ridiculous story!” Bruce said. “The girl is delirious.”
“Eva, do you mind giving us a moment to discuss this matter,” Priya said.
“Fine,” I said before storming off in frustration. I waited by the door of the recovery ward, watching them argue. Bruce was getting more heated by the minute, as were a number of others, but Priya kept her cool. As calm as she was being, it was obvious she was losing the argument, so I began planning my escape. Walking out the front door wasn’t an option, so I scanned the fence, looking for a way over without getting pinned by the wire.

“Eva,” Priya called, and I turned to see her walking towards me.
“I don’t care what they say,” I said once she was close enough. “I’m leaving.”
“Shh,” she said, looking behind her. Her peers were still sitting around the table, watching warily. “Listen to me carefully, and act upset.”
“Huh?”
“They won’t listen to me,” she continued. “But I believe you, and I’m going to help you get out of here.”
“Oh, Dr. Desai, thank you.”
“Remember, they’re watching. Look disappointed so they think I’m turning you down.”
“Okay,” I said, doing my best to appear upset.
“I’ll help you, but you have to do something for me,” she said. “I’ll make you a copy of all our research. I want you to take it to that rescue ship and give it to the highest authority you can find.”
“Wait,” I said. “You’re not coming with me?”
“No,” she said. “I have to stay here. These people need vital medical treatment and we’re short-staffed as it is. I’m needed here. But if you get the research to the right people, then all the work we’ve done will help even more people.”
“But what if they don’t listen to me?” I asked.
“Make them listen,” Priya urged. “Talk to them the way you just spoke to my colleagues. Be bold, Eva. This research will save the world.”
Priya’s trust in me gave me the confidence I needed to take on such a huge responsibility. “Okay,” I said, standing tall. “I’ll do it.”
“Thank you so much, Eva,” Priya said with a slight smile. “Go inside and get some rest. You’ll leave tonight. Wait until everyone in your ward is asleep and meet me here.”
Priya turned and walked back to her colleagues, who had turned their attention back to the pile of papers on the table.
I walked into the recovery ward and found my bed, feeling nervous about heading out on the road alone. I lay down and closed my eyes, knowing I would need my rest before my great escape.

______________________

Thank you for reading! New chapter uploaded tomorrow :D

Tweet me: @JenMarieWilde

Did you love this chapter?
I'd be forever grateful if you could share #TheEvaSeries with your friends!