lxxii. officially lost

Start from the beginning

"Sounds like a job for us," called Fred, indicating himself and George, and Kingsley nodded his approval.

"All right, leaders up—"

"No!" I blurted before I could control myself.

"No?" Kingsley said.

"No," I stuttered, my mouth moving before my brain could catch up, "Fred and George are not going to b-be at the passageway. S-someone else can do it."

"And why not?"

I looked at the confused faces and shook my head, the realization finally hitting me.

Charlotte had thought she had forgotten everything she had known about the books she had read all those years ago, too integrated with this timeline to remember her old one. With no memory of her past life, Charlotte believed herself a true witch, given away at birth by Severus Snape due to the death of her mother.

The muggles of her past might have well been Obliviated as they had no recollection of Charlotte and the teachers' minds had been emptied of the information she was a time traveller. To everyone, including herself, Charlotte Rae Snape-Gaunt was a witch given to an orphanage and found at fourteen.

But the last living memory she had in her mind was the death of someone she had grown so fondly of in her past life and in this one, her soul hadn't allowed her to forget that tidbit of information, even if how she knew was a mystery to all.

"Just no. Find someone else. Not Fred and George—"

"Come on, Mini," Fred laughed and clapped my shoulder. "Let us have some—"

"Do you want to die?" I blurted, looking up at him with teary eyes.

Gasps echoed around us, but no one said anything.

"Charlotte..."

"No, George. I-It's horrible. You have to find someone else to look after the passageways. P-please," I cried.

Fred didn't say anything to me but nodded. There was more talking, but I couldn't hear anyone. Fred pulled me away from the ground and knee down in front of me as if I were a child.

"Did you lie and say I'd have a happy life?" he suddenly said.

"I shouldn't have said anything, but I c-can't lose you... It's my job to save people and I-I don't want you to d-d-die," I breathed.

"Everyone dies even—"

"Not like this," I hissed. "You and George can go fight somewhere else, do something else, but not that. Stay away from the Room of Requirements, please."

Fred drew out a long breath and rubbed my arm, "I promise, Mini."

"Charlotte?" Harry called from behind me. Sniffling, I wiped my nose and looked back at him. "Are you coming?"

"Uh, yeah," I cleared my throat and stood up, giving Fred one last look, "you two stay away from that corridor. I mean it. I-If I find out—"

"I promise, Charlotte," Fred smiled.

"You better keep your promise," I sniffled, "Rodent."

Harry and I ran through the entire castle on a wild goose chase looking for the Ravenclaw Diadem. We'd met up with multiple Hogwarts' Ghosts and even found Hagrid. After a little argument, Harry had with Aberforth Dumbledore, we sped down the corridor only to run into Hermione and Ron, both with their arms full of large, curved, dirty yellow objects, Ron with a broomstick under his arm.