xxxix. punishment

Before I could make it to the Great Hall for breakfast, Draco pulled me away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione who gave him deathly glares. Wordlessly, Draco walked me to the Umbridge's Office.

"Ah, Miss Harring, how lovely of you to visit," she smiled sweetly. "Thank you, Mr Malfoy, you can stand by the door."

Draco listened to her with no problem and waited by the door.

"You called me in here, Professor Umbridge?" I asked.

"It's Headmistress Umbridge, now," she grinned, her toadlike face squishing more than it already was. "And I have. Sit down, Miss Harring."

Not wanting to piss her off more than I knew she was already, I sat down in the ugly pink chair. As uncomfortable and ugly it is, I had to follow directions.

"I've called you in here to give you your punishment for your insubordination from the beginning of the year," Umbridge clasped her hands in front of her and hummed happily. Going into her desk, she pulled out a small box. "Your greatest weakness, I have seen, is your friends. You will learn to behave by any means I see necessary. Although I believe it is more a privilege than punishment, I think it would be perfect for you."

Opening the box, she pulled out a silver long shaped pin. The pin had a small engraving on it that I couldn't read from where I sat. Pushing the pin towards me, she motioned for me to grab it. In tiny letters, the pin read Inquisitional Squad.

"The Inquisitional Squad?" I looked up from the ugly pin to her squat face.

"Yes! I believe you lot will help better the school," Umbridge beckoned over someone from behind me. Turning around, I saw a few Slytherins I recognized, along with Pansy Parkinson and Filch.

"So you're punishing me by rewarding me?" my brows furrowed in confusion.

"You are a very smart and lovely young girl but are being plagued by rebellious delinquents you call your friends. Being a part of my Inquisitorial Squad, you will have authority and be able to punish those who do wrong. And as a thank you to me for your lovely new position, you will report to me with any wrongdoings of your friends Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ronald Weasley by the end of every week," she explained.

"So that's my punishment, tattle-telling on my friends?" I scoffed.

"And you will learn to not talk back, or else I will revoke your privileges and have no choice but to expel you from Hogwarts," Umbridge sighed with a happy smile.

"So either I tattle-tell on my friends or get expelled from Hogwarts?"

"Indeed. See, what a smart girl," Umbridge laughed softly, the people around me followed. "Now, place on your pin and go off to breakfast. I do not want you to be late, that will not be a good start to your new role."

Umbridge dismissed me with a wave of her hand. Angrily, I put on the ugly pin and stormed out of the office, Draco in tow. More footsteps could be heard scurrying behind us, most likely Crabbe and Goyle.

"Charlo—"

"What, Draco!" I yelled at him.

"Don't be mad at me," he said softly.

"I have every right—"

"Actually, I have every right to be upset. You stole my wand and jinxed me," Draco raised his voice slightly.

"You were going to get people in trouble who only want to learn! Umbridge is a bitch and—"

"You cannot say things like that," Draco whispered dangerously, moving me away from his friends. "Being in this squad is the best thing that could happen to you. Umbridge will look over anything you do for information on your friends."